Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Hills Are Alive

I was in town this morning and decided to get in a recovery ride before heading off to meditation/church for the first time in a long while. My legs were still feeling yesterday's ride a bit, but not bad. I just decided this morning that I needed to take advantage of being here on a week end morning and to hit the road a for a bit.

As I was biking through the park, I decided since it was pretty early on a Sunday morning, I could bike through some of the more heavily-traffic areas, as there would much less traffic given the time and the day. So instead of staying to my usual path, I took a veer off and headed out to ride to the zoo area. It was a fun, near area to explore. Until I made it to the first hill. What for me was my longest, out of the saddle slog up a pretty steep hill. Thankfully, it wasn't long and I probably wasn't in the right gear, but it was took forty strides to get to the top. I have this weird habit of counting strides or steps when I am trying to shift my focus away from being discouraged and thinking about how much more there is to go. Forty isn't a lot, but I don't know that I could have done much more. So with that uphill, came the "WHEEEE" and a ride back through the back of the zoo, near the monkeys from the sounds of it! I also came across a public park and huge swimming pool, closed this summer due to municipal budget cuts - but it would have been a fun place to swim this year. I'd only been to this pool one time, probably close to my first summer in Texas, nearly thirty years ago. I'd completely forgotten it was there.

And then came the next hill, another out-of-saddle 40 strider. This put me back up on top and just a bit away from my workplace. I decided to ride around there for a while. And what do you know? Another damned hill. One more saddle-clearing 40. By this time my legs were just shaking! So much for my recovery ride! The good news was that I had gained so much height, that my ride back to the trail was all downhill! I was a sweaty mess when I got home. Legs feel worse after the recovery ride...oh, well - that's what Aleve is for!

Had a great day yesterday. Bick came into town and picked me up and we went to the neighboring county to their annual one-day Peach Festival. We walked around and looked at all things peachy - I indulged in some home-made peach ice cream which was just yummy on such a hot day. Knocked around for a couple of hours and then headed back to Fort Worth. I finally got around to asking an assist from Bick to get my hand-me-down DVD player hooked up and my remote programmed. Gotta love those ee guys! So today I stopped by Redbox and picked up a couple of movies to watch this afternoon while I lounge around. I've got a meeting, perhaps two, tonight. And that will put a cap on an interesting weekend.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. You can't coast through life.

-Roxie
138.5

Pic: Me, 1968.

9 comments:

  1. Wasn't that a Stingray? You had the raddest bike evah as a kid!

    Like your badass recovery ride - go Roxie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to have thighs of steel, woman. I'd have been walking the bike up the 2nd hill, and calling for a friend with a truck to stow the bike for the ride home prior to the third one!

    I LOVE homemade peach ice cream...best ever. I suspect you burned off 5X the number of calories in the ice cream during your ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for hills! I count cadence when I go up hills, too. I put my head down and start counting. Usually I just keep repeating "one-two, one-two" to keep up a rhythm.

    Hills are a lot more fun when the uphills come at the first part of the ride and it is all downhill after that :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this post while I was in a funk. Sort of depressed. It's a perfect day for a bike ride so off I went, after reading about your bike ride. What a mood altering experience. I can't believe how a simple bike ride changes my entire perspective on life. It's better than any mind-altering drugs out there. :)

    Just caught up on your last several posts. Istanbul?! Sounds so fun! I can't wait to hear about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to ride, Roxie! I'm so impressed. And look at that number getting smaller and smaller :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the stingray! Had one myself back in the day - Kelly Green, sissy bar, big wide slick in the back.

    All those uphill rides equate to paying for the ticket for the fun ride down the other side. So worth it! It's good for your effin rocket boosters too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't coast through life - that is a very true statement. I ride my bike once a week, but we live in a flat area so hills are hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can coast, but only part of the time.
    The downhill part...
    I love that metaphor, Roxie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. and I longed for a bike even before I read this post.

    woven plastic basket bananaseat and all.

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.