Friday, July 16, 2010

Practicing Reverence

The more I thought about yesterday's post, the more clear it had become. I'd stopped treating my food prep and meals (and myself) with any real mindful reverence. I had begun to just throw things together without much thought and that lack of reverence began to show in my enjoyment and satisfaction with what I was eating. I was slamming together my meals and I was shoveling it down, all while thinking of something else rather than being in the moment with my food. All very crunchy, granola, hippie chick, right? Well, no. I think it's more than that - deeper than that and for me, perhaps forms the basis of what other's call mindful eating. Perhaps this is what Geneen Roth is alluding to? Hell, I haven't read her book - maybe she spells this out directly in Women Food and God?. Don't know.

So last evening, after a great meeting and some shopping (more on that later), I got home, hopped on Cha-Cha and rode to the store. I picked up a few things, came home and spent some time and thought and prepared my lunch for today. It is still basically the Big Ass Spinach Salad (BASS), but I roasted some vegetables, mixed up a little dressing, and this morning added some fresh raspberries. I know that I will love this lunch and it will keep me satisfied. I gave myself a break from the eggwhite omelets of blandness and instead had some flaxseed meal hot cereal topped with some more raspberries. By preparing my lunch at night, rather than in the morning, I give myself more time to treat myself to better food.

Now back to the shopping - I remembered yesterday that I had an Old Navy GC in my purse since Christmas. I'd basically been surviving on Pebbles' hand-me-downs which had reached a stage of worn-flat-out. So it was time for some new casual pants (I've got nothing for serious business attire, but that will be for another time). and Old Navy was having a sale. I bought three pair, in navy, stone and khaki. My favorite pair, the navy, were only $2.97 - last fall's models - but alas, I bought the last lone pair of those. I like them better than the other two pairs, but this should get a long way. I wear my clothes for a long, long time. My GC covered all but about $3.00 of it, so SCORE! Also, I'm now done shopping for my trip in the fall. Pebbles and I decided we are only taking a carry-on. So my britches are all taken care of.

I love, love, loved riding to the store. I did learn, however, that I must leave home earlier than 8pm, because even with just quickly picking up a few items, it was too dark for me to safely ride without lights. So next purchase will be some lights for Cha-Cha.

And last, but certainly not least, my thanks to Jo for the blog award.

Award Rules:

1. Thank the person giving the award.

2. Share 7 things about yourself.

3. Nominate 15 newly discovered blogs.

4. Let your nominees know about the award.

Roxie's Rules - I've thanked Jo (and solicited handbag advice) and I shall try to think up seven things that you don't already know. I haven't been poking around the edges of the blogging world too much recently, so I will invite you to tell me who I ought to be reading and am not.

Okay, here's the Seven Things You Need to Know Before You Go:

1. Shameful admission: Sometimes when I'm in MalibuKen, I listen to Cosmo Radio.

2. I hate bananas.

3. My ex-husband wanted to name our daughter Selena.

4. I took piano lessons for years and cannot play a note.

5. I'm getting the urge to throw my leg across a horse again. I rode for years and it has been years since I've ridden.

6. I can kick your tail at Boggle, which is surprising, given my lack of wordsmithiness around here.

7. I was afraid of the monkey bars when I was a child. As a youngster most uncoordinated, I was 15 years old when I taught myself how to do a cartwheel as a requirement for a PE class.

So there it is. The Friday post. I'm going to try a new adventure with Cha-Cha that I've been contemplating for a while. I'm taking Cha-Cha by bus to another part of town, ride through there a bit and then hit my normal trail from a different entry point. I'll get the benefit of a different view, plus the opportunity to try to do the bus load on what I hope is a less busy day. Wish me luck, as I think this will require perhaps more coordination and fluidity than I possess.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Respect Yourself.

-Roxie
139.5

Top pic is of a Josef Frank designed fabric. Yesterday was the 125th anniversary of his birth. Fabulous designer.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't thought of Boggle in years! We used to play that all the time.

    Isn't it funny how getting into a rut with our food causes us to not pay attention to it anymore?

    That breakfast sounds pretty good to me. I need to get some raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with getting cha-cha on the bus. I've noticed around here lately that they have been mounting bike racks on the front bumper of the buses to make it easier for riders. I always thought that was a pretty cool idea. Not sure I could lift mine on a bus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read some Thich Nhat Hanh and he is all about mindfulness and even wrote a book called Savor. I will pass it on to you when I am done if you would like.

    They mount the bikes on the front of the buses here too. It seems to work well for people. Unless your bike is super heavy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too with the lack of reverence and enjoyment in the food and food prep! I just realised I completely dropped my Round the World experimental cooking, I think I'll have to reinstate that soon because it did make me pay more attention and think more about at least one meal a week.
    Well done on the shopping, you've reminded me I need some new casual pants too... (my husband won't thank you for the reminder, but I do ;-) )

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.