Friday, July 9, 2010

Through Hell and High Water

I've known her for almost thirty years. As the old saying goes, "We've been through hell and high water together". We were party girls together in our youth and we have seen each other through lots of ups and downs - the hell. Tonight, we got the high water part of this. Right at quitting time, it started pouring buckets and I had ridden the bus. Several offered to take me home and asked her since I live more in her direction than that of other offerers. We were heading towards The Closet and it was pouring, park flooded, roads in high water on the outer edges. A couple of cars stalled out. We get closer to The Closet and I say "Let's go down a little farther" and she says, "No, I want to turn here" and so turn we did. And we followed another car right into deep water. Car in front stalled and so did we. Her car started floating and filling with water! There was no place to go but crawl out the windows and push the car out of the thigh deep water. So that's exactly what we did - much to the obvious delight of onlookers. While the other guys were sitting in their stalled cars, she and I were pushing her floating car out of the high water. Her car ended up with ankle deep water in the floor board. Oh, and she had her iPhone in her pocket while she was pushing the car! We sat there for a few minutes, stunned. And then she turned on the key and we drove away. And pretty soon, her phone rang! All because I didn't want to get wet standing at the bus stop waiting for the bus. I feel horrible about it and of course have offered to pay her insurance deductible. I hope she takes me up on it - she actually reports to me at work, so this has the potential to be very awkward. Oh, and she's had her car for about two months. Sigh. Oh, and I can also tell you that sopping wet white pants are see-through. And one other thing, pouring rain will calm even the biggest fro.

5 comments:

  1. Holy cow! That was scarey. Very nice of you to offer to pay thr detuctable. Man, what kind of car does she drive. Sounds like it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

    Stay dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, that is one of my biggest fears since I've lived in Texas - driving into high water. So glad you both were ok - this could have been really bad. Back when SA flooded in the 90's, one of our neighbors died after he drove onto a flooded street.

    What presence of mind you both had to get out of the car - can't believe you pushed it out of the water! Hello adrenaline! Money, schmoney. Just glad everything worked out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "When it rains, it pours" takes on new meaning!
    Glad you are safe and sound.
    Even in your see -through pants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First and foremost, thank the universe that you're both okay.

    It's wonderful that you offered to pay her deductible, especially for what's essentially an act of nature. Maybe she'll agree to share it, since she chose to drive down that street?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hated the high water. But this story is really a good example of why I adore you.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.