Saturday, August 21, 2010

On Top Of Old Smokey

She is so my daughter.

I get a phone call while I am on my way over to her house this afternoon. We are scheduled to go shopping. No hi, no hello, no nothing. Just:

Her: "You have to promise not to laugh."

Me: "What? What are you talking about?"

Her: "Just promise you won't laugh."

Me: "Laugh about what?"

Her: "I was brushing my teeth and I got toothpaste on my dress. So I took off my dress to rinse it out and I kinda bent over to step out of it. I wasn't paying attention and I sort of caught my hair on fire on a lit candle".

Me: "Oh my god, are you alright?"

Her: "Well, I didn't actually notice that I'd done it until I saw the bathroom begin to fill with smoke. Then I noticed the flame in the mirror and dunked my head under the water at the sink".

Me: laughs hysterically

I arrived to find the stinkiest apartment in the history of ever. She's got a patch on really singed hair right on the top of her head. I'd say her hair in that spot is about 1/4 inch long. I think a pixie cut is in her near future. I spent the rest of the day calling her "Sparky".

Photo - November, 2004 - back when she had hair.

8 comments:

  1. I love y'alls relationship! There is no worse smell than that of burnt hair...glad she was none the worse for wear after that mishap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She'll look adorable in a pixie cut. I am going to tell my 11 year old that story. I can see why Pebbles wanted a promise of no laughing....then you laugh. Totally something my daughter and I would do. Only the other way around. I about kicked her out of the house for laughing at me when I went platinum blonde. For a few hours.

    Did you find any shoes? Getting ready for a bike ride this morning. You inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I rarely have lit candles in my house. Seriously...I can see this happening to me. Glad it was no worse than the potential for a pixie cut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, too funny. I lit my hair on fire my senior year in high school. About 1 week before our pictures were to be taken! My hair has a distinctively odd part in that photo! Glad you daughter wasn't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE.
    I can not, at this point, ever ever imagine a grown up daughter of mine.


    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thing you didn't promise to nt laugh! Glad Pebbles didn't go up in flames too. This is one of those things you'll be able laugh about years into the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that the Eiffel Tower in the background?

    WeighDownSouth.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a member of the fire service, I want to ask your daughter...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? lol Maybe she was doing a Michael Jackson impression?

    I am just very glad that it was nothing worse than a small singed patch. Believe me, I've seen worse. Thank heavens she was near water. Lucky girl.

    Don't feel bad about laughing...I would have laughed too.

    How would she look in a comb-over? :)

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.