Thursday, August 26, 2010

Paving The Road With Good Intentions

Yesterday turned out to be laughable, which considering my mood of late, was an improvement. The day was okay, but I managed to get through the day without any of my planned exercise.

First up - the gym at lunch. I remembered my ID, but was almost at the gym when I realized I was taking my lunch bag, rather than my gym bag. So, I turned around and went back for my gym bag. Did the bag switcheroo and headed back for the gym, only to have the rain begin. My umbrella? In the lunch bag. I was scheduled to have a photo taken later in the day and didn't want rained-on-hair, so I just headed back to the office with the thought that I would take Cha-Cha out for a spin later in the evening.

Later in the evening - I'm home and all dressed for cycling. Then I remembered that I thought Clementine Peddleford felt a bit low in the front tire and that might explain my dogged ride yesterday, so I pulled out my never-before-used-bicycle-pump-with-more-stem-options-than-I-could-possibly-identify to give her a lift. End result? Front tire completely flat and the valve stem pushed up under the rim. It is so time for some bicycle maintenance lessons. In the meantime, I've got to try to figure out how to get Cha-Cha to some sort of repair shop. I tried to take off the front wheel, but it appears that would require some dis-assembly of the front brake structure and I am not going there.

Much later in the evening and I still hadn't had any exercise that day. I've been meaning to get some more reading in, so I just decided to take my book and head over to the gym at The Closet and at least treadmill and read. So I packed up and walked over there. Forgot my glasses and I'm incapable of reading without them. I did end up spending some time on the elliptical but got no reading done. And before I screwed things up anymore, I just went to bed.


Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. When you find yourself in a hole, put down the shovel.

-Roxie
140

11 comments:

  1. Well, you were persistent, at least! My bike is the same way - I can't just take off the front tire because there are all sorts of things attached to it. Much easier to have the bike shop do it - mine only charged me for the tube when I had a puncture, which was under two bucks. Hopefully you have a bike shop within wheeling distance. And hopefully you have a smooth day today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of those "simple things are hard' days. All you can do is laugh.

    I'm with Shelley, have a smooth day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a day. Glad you could laugh about it.

    When you get Cha-Cha to a shop (or Slater maybe?), take your pump along and ask them show you how to use it properly. I have one of those 'fits all sizes' pumps and I understand your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like my life! I got a couple of good chuckles reading your post. As Shelley said, you got something in anyway.

    I'm the same way with reading on the treadmill...no glasses, no reading. No reading, the treadmill gets pretty mindnumbing, even with an ipod. I suspect you'll have a good workout today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you gave it your best try. I've had days like that too, when everything I try to do right turns out wrong. All you can do is just laugh at yourself. And sounds like you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a pretty funny day. Sort of like "I'm going to show you a bad mood, Oh, mayor of Pissymoodville."

    I don't even try the bicycle maintenance. I'm a bike wuss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some things just aren't meant to be... but you did try really hard, lots of points for that! Good luck next time, and I hope Cha-Cha is back on the road really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, man. I hate it when I have a day like that. I hope today was better. You kept at it and that's pure awesome!

    When I first began cycling, I was useless at the most simplest of things. Maybe Bick will take you over to a bike shop. I agree with Brian about taking your pump with you. They can show you which thingy to use and how to take off your tire. Believe it or not, it's really simple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's a good link on youtube for removing a front tire:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrHitqykWaM

    ReplyDelete
  10. With some folks (self-included), I might wonder about self-sabotage, but definitely not in your case. I'm thinking the universe was speaking to you yesterday. I prefer going straight to bed on those days, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahhh one of those THE UNIVERSE IS CONSPIRING TO DERAIL ME days.

    Ive heard about those (wink).

    heres to a gooooood smooth sailing friday.


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.