Monday, October 4, 2010

A Brand New Ending

Celebrations, albeit personal and understated, are over. What a lovely weekend it was. The fair was wonderful. My Saturday bike ride was wonderful (more on that later) dinner out was good and fun, and the car show was a blast.

I read on another blog today something along these lines - we don't get to go back and get a brand new start but we do have the opportunity each day to create a brand new ending. I'm loving my brand new ending! I am grateful for every pebble, (ha!), speed bump and obstacle in the road that nudged me off of the course I was on. Many of us only change at the rate of pain and now I can see that it took what it took to get my attention. I remain hopeful that I can make the next lessons less extreme :-)

Saturday's ride was wonderful. I reached the end of the lake riding area - there and back logged in at 44.3 miles, so I got in my 40! What I did discover is that I only have about 35 miles of fitness in me, as the lake ride is much more hilly than I am used to. I did the proper hydration and nutrition (I think), but the last ten miles my quads were aquiver. I actually recovered pretty quickly and didn't hurt, so that was good. I'd have hated to take a scooter to the car show.


And speaking of that, my actual 50th birthday was on Sunday. Bick and I were walking around looking at cars, arguing the design merits of the Studebaker - I think they (some models - certainly not all) are a design marvel, he thinks they are ugly as sin - and there, riding a scooter past us is a man I dated back in 83-84. Granted he was older than me by a goodly margin, but it was strange to see him on a scooter. Whatever disability had befallen him, it wasn't obvious. I didn't speak - no need to dig up those old bones, but it was a little unnerving to see. I hope whatever it is is temporary.

I'm having a bit of success with my new sleep practices. The aromatherapy is helping as I'm already conditioned to relax and fall asleep to the scent of lavender. In my restorative yoga class, we can get a shot of scent on our hand towels and then drape them over our faces during savasana, so my body is used to lavender as a relaxation cue. I'm still waking up once a night, but have been able to fall back asleep rather quickly for the last three nights.

My caffeine consumption is still way down. I cut off all drink-related caffeine at noon and that has helped as well.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Rewrite your ending.

-Roxie
138.5

11 comments:

  1. Glad you had such a nice birthday weekend. WooHoo on the 44 miles. I knew you could do it.

    We do change at the rate of pain. Through pain comes growth. nice reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Roxy - it sounds like you had a great birthday.
    I love your posts - gets me thinking about a LOT of things!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to this side of 50! Other than the assorted aches, pains and insomnia, I think it's a pretty darn good place to be.

    I'd like to think I keep ahead of the pain where change is concerned but my history tells me otherwise.

    So impressed by your bike ride. Real athletes tackle distances like that you know. I hope you're thoroughly impressed with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! So glad it was a good weekend for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! So glad you had such a great weekend, and I love that you rode Cha Cha so far - having 35 miles of fitness in you but managing over 44 is awesome! What a great challenge on the cusp of your 50th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!
    It sounds like a wonderful weekend - and quite a cycling achievement, I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy significant birthday, and welcome to the world of never having to take crap off anybody again! That's how I felt when i turned 50.

    Sounds like a perfect weekend. What a great bike ride...my legs would have been jelly after a 4th of that distance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday! I'm sure you celebrated with joy - look how much you've achieved! I celebrated my 40th this year and I am in the mindset that it just gets better from here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a wonderful birthday weekend! 40 miles - yes!!

    We need to bike together :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy, happy birthday! I'm glad you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always late to the party lol Happy Birthday Roxie! Glad you had a lovely weekend. Way to go on all that bike riding.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.