Friday, October 8, 2010

Walk A Mile In My Shoes

This afternoon I bought my fourth pair of traveling shoes. The first pair just didn't turn out to be as supportive as I wanted them to be. They are a pair of Skechers - sort of an athletic shoe but with a fashionable bend. The next two pair went back - well, actually one pair is on it's way back. I'll never buy shoes over the internet again, except possibly at Zappos. That little experiment cost me $15.00 in here and there shipping. The shoes were billed as light traveling shoes and were highly rated, but felt like wearing hard plastic on my feet. Not comfy at all. The last pair were a pair of pink Land's End soft of sport-athletic-fashion shoes in pink, but they turned out to be too small. Pebbles is going to try them on before they go back. A friend told me I could return them to Sears. If I have to pay shipping back on them, I will be unhappy. Tonight's purchase is a pair of Borns - Mary Jane style. On sale, with a coupon, at DSW. TTL $24.00. I will wear them every minute of every day from now til next Friday to see if they are going to blister me up. I remain hopeful. I've got the Skechers as backup.

Continuing the shoe theme, the above pictured shoes are the one's I received for my birthday from my Mom. This time they came with a gift receipt, so they went back to the store as a credit on her account. There just aren't enough scenarios in this fifty-year olds life that call for 5 in heeled hot pink patent leather shoes with zippers up the back. "But you are so thin" she says. "But I'm still fifty" says me. Just a bit too "Snookie" for me.

In other news, I'm packed. In a rolling backpack carry-on. For seven days. We are trying to go as light as possible. We'll see how this works. I've never, ever packed this early. It may be a brilliant strategy or it may backfire, who knows.

Bick is just leaving Sadie at home tomorrow, so I'll get up and ride in the morning and then head up there in the early afternoon. It will be just like a regular work day for her, so that's good. It will save him time in dropping her off and I still get to do what I want for a good part of the day.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Travel is good for the soul.

-Roxie
133.5

13 comments:

  1. Wowza - I love that your mom thinks you can use those pink shoes! And you totally would rock them, btw. But I understand perhaps wanting something a wee bit more practical, lol!

    You can return Land's End stuff to Sears - no additional shipping costs, yay! I bought my swimsuits the last two years from LE - got several sizes/styles and just took the ones I didn't want back to Sears. Awesome.

    Hope the new Borns work out for you - great idea to wear the heck out of them for the next week. And nothing wrong with being packed so early...this is so exciting, your trip is almost here!!!

    Hope you have a great bike ride tomorrow - I'll be thinking of you spinning those wheels while I'm out there running. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, you should have gotten gussied up and wore them. you only live once.
    my nine year old thinks their CUTE!
    lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness...I go away for a few days and the next thing I know you're off to Istanbul. Wow! Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

    Those shoes are very sexy and totally gorgeous, but five inches! What was your mom thinking? Although kind of sweet in a way, and funny that she'd pick them out for you. She obviously thinks your a hot young chickadee (and actually you could totally pull off those shoes, 50 or not). They just kind of painful. :)

    Hey - thanks for Grace's email address. I met her at the workshop tonight. I love her! It was truly like meeting up with an old girlfriend I'd known for years. Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have funny feet and a hard time finding comfortable ones. If those don't work out -try Croc sandals for walking shoes or I just bought some mary jane clog like shoes with great soles almost like Merrels brand (hiking shoes). They are super comfortable and give good support and only $14 White Stag brand. NEVER have Walmart shoes worked for me before.

    My aunt went to Istanbul recently and I just looked at all the photos. She LOVED the place she stayed-the Agan hotel and they treated her like a queen and were a fun and protective bunch of good looking young guys that ran it. Very handsome and fun. Apparently a lot of time in Istanbul is spent on cushey cushions outside chilling in the low humidity. She loved the whole experience. I looked up the link ..I'm sure you have a place to stay --but just in case you need a back up.


    http://www.aganhotel.com/content.asp?Page=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yeah, I 've personally never smoked a hooka ..but apparently they have flavors like cappucino, cinnamon, cherry...I think I would even like that-sitting outside at twilight smoking a cappucino flavored hooka .

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should have worn those pink shoes just once and strutted around!

    I would totally topple over in something like that, even though I am short.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I highly recommend Merrels or Keens for heavy walking. Hope your Borns work and are as comfortable as bedroom slippers.

    Looking at the shoes your mom gave you made me laugh...even my skinny sexy 30 y/o self could not have negotiated 5 inch heels without serious injury to ankles, tarsals and phalanges. I'd kill myself on them. When do you leave? I don't want to miss saying Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way too Snookie (whatever that is). Adventures are good for the soul - cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited for you. I can't wait to hear all about the trip. And ugh, I know what you mean about return shipping. Where I live there is a New Balance store and they let me walk out with my new shoes on. If I don't like them in 2 weeks - even if I've worn them every day, they will take them back. It makes it worth the extra price just to have that kind of guarantee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, take the Lands End shoes back to Sears. Really the Lands End connection is the hippest thing about Sears.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great thing! I can't walk in heels to save my life! I hope you like you new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovelovelove my Born shoes!! I hope you find them as comfy as I do. And by the way, great price on them! I typically hate buying shoes...feet just a tad too wide for many, but not wide enough for "wide" shoes. Born fit me like they were made for my feet. I now have about 6 pair, one of which I've been wearing for nearly 10 years! I think I have to toss them, but I hate to part with them. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Roxie
    Thanks for your comment. It feels good to be back.

    I love Zappos...I buy tons from them, knowing I can send everything back with free (and simple) shipping. Recently I bought 2 pairs of Born sandals (same style, different size) just so I could choose the one that fit best. The other pair went back. Easy peasy.

    But the pink shoes! Ouch!!! But nice that your mom thinks of you like that.

    Istanbul...wow. I concur with Diana. I go away for a while (yes, I was gone for longer) and you are off to exotic lands. I'm very excited for you.

    It's good to be back and I'll be keeping track of you better now!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.