Friday, November 19, 2010

Flipping the Switch

The lesson for today: Be careful what you wish for. I'd expressed a desire to spend less time mindlessly surfing. Well, guess what? The Universe complied. Upon my return home from my business trip, my laptop will no longer recognize my wireless network at The Closet. The messaging tells me to make sure my switch is turned on! Well, I've searched that machine over and I've yet to see a physical switch. So today, while I do have internet access, I'll be googling up some info on how to restore my access!

And speaking of flipping the switch, I'm having a helluva time flipping my switch back into ON PROGRAM mode. I am still struggling and not being as successful as I would like. One of my character defects is all-or-nothing thinking. That is, if I am not being perfect, then I am an abject failure. To expose such flawed logic to the light of day, truth and reason, I will chronicle some of the good decisions that I made yesterday.

1. I chose not to eat any of the office snacks that others brought in. While I had room for a treat in my calorie count, I didn't have room for it in my head. If I'd had one, I'd have wanted many, many more. So I made the easier of the decisions - to not have the first one.

2. I went to the gym.

3. I'm having people over for dinner tonight and I need to go to the store for some things. I chose to wait until after work to go to the store, even though it will rush my schedule some because I didn't need to be trolling the aisles of the store yesterday and I didn't need to have "stuff" in the house. Again, I made the easy decision.

4. I was hungry before meeting and made a choice to get a bowl of broth-based soup, rather than something else. It was hot and spicy and filling.

5. Spent time reading Savor, a book on mindful eating sent to me by the fabulous Katie J. It was awaiting me upon my return from my business trip and I am really enjoying it.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Press the Easy Button.

-Roxie

13 comments:

  1. Ouch to the computer switch, but way to work on flipping your own. You know I can relate, and talked about my own perfectionism and black or white thinking yesterday. Sounds like you made some excellent choices yesterday.

    My flip seems to be beginning to switch, but those damn character defects really want to resist. Loved your comment about staging a pace coup yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My network switch on my laptop is along the front edge. It has teensy tiny writing that says WLAN and then off/on indicators. I almost never found it when it somehow got switched off.

    Good for you for making good choices! Re-entry is rough, but it usually works out well in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you listed all the good choices you've made. Way to be kind and loving to yourself. Which you totally deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, and good reminder to us that those small good decisions do add up. And just curious: what are you serving your guests?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Elaine - menu for tonight is very simple:

    Cheese, apple and grapes with crackers starter

    Spiced Pumpkin Bisque (Costco) with my own touch of added spices.

    Greek-esque salad - Baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, mushrooms, summer squash with homegrown/made pesto salad dressing.

    Mini cornbread muffins.

    Dessert: Fruit Yogurt Parfait

    Greek Yogurt with honey layered over blueberries and pineapple. Served in a cocktail glass with a single dark-chocolate pirouette straw.

    Beverage: Pineapple Tea, followed by after dinner coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a lot like you do - and it just clicked now once I read it to myself a few times! Hmmmm...

    Enjoy your company tonight and glad you are enjoying the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get beyond frustrated when the internet doesn't work at home. BEYOND. Hope you get your issue figured out today.

    Love your choices, and your menu sounds not only healthy but beautiful as well - what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned a lot from the Savor book. Some things really spoke to me, particularly the habit energy.

    Hope you get the internet worked out. That makes me panic, and not just from a work angle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish it as as easy as flipping a switch. Be it computers or just life in general. When I was a kid I really wished that I was Samantha Stevens and that with a twitch of nose I could get what I wanted.

    I always like how you make positive lists. Attitude will take you far. We will just hold on till things change. We know they will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish it as as easy as flipping a switch. Be it computers or just life in general. When I was a kid I really wished that I was Samantha Stevens and that with a twitch of nose I could get what I wanted.

    I always like how you make positive lists. Attitude will take you far. We will just hold on till things change. We know they will!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That WLAN switch on your computer? If it isn't on the front, then check the side, and like Cammy said, it will be a very, very tiny slide type switch. They are ususally camoflaged into the plastic trim on the laptop. Push it all the way off, then back on, and that should take care of your connection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Less surfing the Internet - now, that is a challenge! I have an on-off switch that is incredibly small on the side of my computer. I can barely use my fingernail to slide it one way or the other. Hope you get it figured out - that can be so maddening!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Easy Button! I have one on my desk at work. I think mine is borked though! I keep presing it but things don't really get easier! I too am trying to flip that switch. Trying to get back on track.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.