Monday, November 29, 2010

Kitchen Sink

I'm sipping my morning coffee, reflecting upon a really lovely weekend. Probably one of the nicest holidays I've had in a while.

First off, I've got to give credit to Central Market. Our Thanksgiving meal was amazing. The food was wonderful, the pickup was a BREEZE (15 minutes in and out of the store on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving - miraculous!) and the directions were clear and helpful. It still was a lot of food. It was packaged as service for 6-8 and I think it was a generous eight. I did add brussels sprouts, but we still had plenty of left-overs. Contrast this to Pebbles' experience at her in-laws, where she said there wasn't enough food and that they ran out. She was shocked, as she is used to the food orgies put on by my side of the family. Anyway, I don't know that I will ever cook a big meal again. This was just too good and too easy.

I did have a lovely time decorating the table, although I didn't get a picture of it. It wasn't my absolute best, but I let it be at "good enough". The dining room is adjacent to the living room. Bick lit a fire, so the whole area was just very cozy and festive. Mom and my sister actually showed up and seemed to have a good time. My sister is still following her eating plan and I believe she said she'd dropped either 17 or 19 pounds. All of this got me to thinking how our family traditional dishes have evolved or devolved into a calorie-laden disaster. Everything has too many add-ins. Baked sweet potatoes have exploded into almost a dessert, given the amount of butter, sugar and marshmallows. Mashed potatoes now must come with added cream cheese, sour cream, more butter, etc. Corn is now corn souffle. Green beens have become the ubiquitous casserole. And I've already given the story of the pie martyr. It's all too much. Too over the top.

We ended the day with some football and ham sandwiches.

Next day we had some errands to run. I needed to get MalibuKen inspected and to visit a Reata-South specialized supply house. I'd decided to seek contractors there at a mobile supply place. Alas, they were not open on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but it did help me get myself back in gear. I pulled another dozen names off of Angie's List and started making calls. Two people have returned calls so I've got an appointment this afternoon and another tomorrow. And because I'm continuing to pursue this, I think I've undone any goodwill I might have generated over the holiday. Still with the push-back and the attempts to focus me on other, far-less critical, but outside projects. So frustrating. Again, I will keep my focus on the problems that are mine to solve.

Saturday we went down south to this. The weather was beautiful! And while I've been there several times, I'd never been to the Fair. In my mind, I'd somehow decided this was a Christmas craft fair, but it was not. It was so much more. It was like the best county fair you've ever been to in your life! I can really bring out my inner EarthMother/Hippy Chick/Low Footprint Urban Broad here! We watched a demo on timber frame barn raising, saw a spinning and weaving demonstration. Listened to a talk on keeping bees and another on keeping chickens in an urban setting. There were soap-making and cheese-making demonstrations as well as amazing food for purchase. As Bick said, it was unlike any fair food he'd ever had - grass-fed beef! And most everything is grown organically, right there on the farm. We, along with everyone not at the mall, spent a lovely, sun-baked day (we both got a kiss of sunburn) looking at the animals and reliving a small bit of our earlier lives on the farm.

Things are not looking good for Bick's mom. She's back in ICU. It appears this will be a rough holiday season for the family.

I didn't get near enough exercise over the holiday. I did a short yoga practice, but nothing else, really. Bick is looking for a treadmill and I do hope that he finds one. I'd love to have some exercise options when I am up there and the weather is bad. I need to remember that I can buy a day-pass at my old gym, if I go during manned hours.

So there's a post that covers everything but the kitchen sink. I am hopeful that the next two days will have me picking out all the finishes I need for the kitchen reno. I'm tired of having this hanging over me.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Clean your kitchen sink.

-Roxie

10 comments:

  1. Your Thanksgiving sounds lovely! Ours was low key here which was nice.
    I know you have this listed somewhere on your blog but could you send me the names of the book(s) on dealing with hoarding? Thanks email calderons4913@bellsouth.net
    Got a situation on my hands with a family member...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful Holiday Roxie. You even sound relaxed and laid back in your post - that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the idea of picking up dinner at Central Market. I may look into that for Christmas. You're a genius.

    LOL Every single year we talk about going to that fair but never make it. Sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you had such a lovely holiday! I visited a Central Mkt when I was in Houston once, and I was amazed at the selections. Everything, including the salads, looked decadent and enticing. I was sorely wishing I wasn't staying in a hotel. I would have bought one of everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the many reasons I volunteered years ago to make all the desserts for Thanksgiving was that I always hope to really enjoy the day itself. Desserts can be done the day before so I'm free while others are worrying about rolls rising and casseroles cooking.

    I also struggle with exercise just at the time when I feel I should do more. But I've learned, as you have with your table setting, that whatever I do get in, is good enough.

    Your time "off" sounds lovely and relaxing yet productive. I'm willing to bet money that the finishes will be finished soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely weekend. Drat that you didn't get a picture of your tablescape! I'm sure it was lovely. Glad your family seemed to settle in and enjoy.

    The County Fair sounds right up my alley. I can really get into crafts and creative ventures - in fact today I'm decorating the bulletin board outside my office for Christmas. If it turns out, I'll have to snap and post it!

    Loved your musings on how more and more high fat and high carb items keep getting added to the holiday sides. So true! My son did the mashed potatoes the old fashioned way...milk (1%!), butter and love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had such a good day with the family. Hopefully they will hold on to that and see that you are just trying to do what needs to be done with the house - it's not like you're trying to do a massive remodel for FUN, for crying out loud!

    Never heard of that craft fair. It looks really cool - we will have to investigate it one day.

    I wish I could pick up dinner somewhere but my family would never accept that. Thus I toil. Actually it's not that bad (so sayeth the martyr).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have loved, loved this fair. Especially the part about keeping bees and chickens (two things to do on my weird bucket list). Sorry to hear about Bick's mom. It's been a rough year for so many.
    Glad that you had a nice Thanksgiving, Roxie, and hope you're getting closer to finding someone through Angie's List.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spent two days cooking. Your way sounds much easier. Although, I kind of enjoy the ritual 2x a year. I usually get all sides done day before and only reheat and cook meat day of.

    Sounds like you had a great holiday. Will keep Bick, his mom & their family in my thoughts. That's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a nice Thanksgiving!!
    mine was random, slow, filled with reuniting and slathered with kids movies.

    it was great in its own weird way.


    MizFit

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.