Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Setting The Table

I am actually looking forward to a holiday. This may be a sign of the apocalypse. You may wish to take whatever measures you deem appropriate.

I am very fortunate to have this holiday play out like it has. It promises to be a low key, low stress, no drama affair, and other than missing Pebbles and Slater, I get to spend it with those most dear to me.

And while I do love to cook, I just didn't want to cook this meal. By ordering it all, I save time, money and leftovers. We will not be buried in food for days. We will have a meal and be done with it. This also leaves me time to do what I love to do and that is set a pretty table. If I were to completely give in to all my yearnings (and I used to do this), I would have table linens, serving platters, pitchers and sets of dishes galore - beyond galore. But shopping for more really isn't much of a challenge. How I choose to challenge myself these days is to use what is available to me in new and different ways.

What few things I do have are mostly still at Bick's. And it's been well over a year since I've seen any of it. I am looking forward to setting up our table. And it just dawned on me, I'll be using Bick's dishes this year - so something new! My plan is to raid the herb garden for greenery, raid the crisper for fruits and enjoy revisiting a few of my favorite possessions while Reynolds Wrap and a preheated oven work their magic on our meal.

Until that time, I am waiting for sunlight to get on my bike for a ride. I think I shall make it over the 700 mile mark today without too much trouble. Wow! After cleaning up, then it's time to pack up my stuff, swing by Central Market to pick up our dinner, plus the brussels sprouts that I've added to the menu and head north. I hope to get up there before I35 becomes a parking lot. Oh, and I've got to stop by Redbox and pick us up a few movies to have on hand.

I am incredibly blessed and thankful this year. The blessings and graces that I have received are too numerous to mention, but I do want to put out a heartfelt thanks to this wonderful blogging community of supportive, inspiring friends. I am thankful for you all.

It will probably be next week before I return.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Be Thankful.

-Roxie
138.5

pic Martha Stewart - can I say just how much I love linen anything? So impractical, but like a moth to a flame, I am always, always, drawn to it.

11 comments:

  1. Flax seeds and Linen napkins -
    What's not to love about that?

    Happy Happy Holidays, Roxie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Roxie. Maybe you should change careers and become a home designer or a stager. I'm sure that loving that as you do, you're very good at it. Feel free to come do my table.

    Thank you for your lovely comment. I feel the same way. You're someone I know speaks truth, with wisdom, honesty and humor thrown in for good measure. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for both comments on my blog girlie. No one can reinvent you but you AND its never too late. There are very few things 'i know for sure' but theres two of them. :)

    And i want you to know your reuseable linens are very eco friendly! Have a wonderful Turkey Day girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great Turkey Day. 700 miles....WOW! Color me impressed.

    Hope the day is all you planned1

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you are embracing the part of Thanksgiving that you enjoy the most - the tablescape! Hope we see pictures of your creation (hint, hint). Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and thank you so much for your sweet comment today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your blog with us Roxie!

    It sounds like a fabulous day planned :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know your table will be lovely. You just have a knack for that. And thank you for the sweet comment today. I am thankful to know you and feel likewise. You continue to give me an enlightened view of the world we live in.

    Have a wonderful time this holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's impractical about linen? It's a natural fiber, it wears well, lasts for years, and takes well to dye when it's time to restyle!

    There is the whole ironing thing, but hey. Ironing is good therapy. You start with a wrinkled mess and end up with nice, tidy things. It's something you can tackle confident of a successful ending, and you get the nice side effect of a steam facial to boot.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good plan to me. I hope your Thanksgiving holiday is relaxed and fun. And thank you for sharing your blog with a bunch of scruffy-lookin' strangers. (Well, at least one scruffy-lookin' stranger, as well a bunch of well-dressed and presentable strangers.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Roxie
    Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog.

    I am so thankful for your friendship that happened solely because of meeting you in the blogosphere. If you ever come back to the PNW, we absolutely must get together!!!!

    Thanks for being there for me. ~Grace

    P.S. Beautiful post.

    P.S.S. Yes, I will try to post more frequently! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad that you had a low-stress holiday. Very beautiful - you have a gift! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog the other day.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.