Thursday, November 11, 2010

With A Little Help From My Friends

This week has been an especially nice one. My friends have gifted me with good things this week.

First, one of my GNO friends asked me to pick up "trash" while traveling. Wouldn't tell me why - "just pick up interesting things you see on the ground - with a baggie, of course" and while I didn't do a great job of it, I came home with a few tossed items - an extra lira that somehow didn't get spent, some ticket stubs that others had tossed on the ground, and a few other odds and ends. She also asked for digital copies of two of the most meaningful photographs from here. From those things, she made me a necklace. I'll try to take a picture of it - it began its' life as a chain belt she found at Goodwill and she adjusted and added and twisted and and beaded and wrapped and dangled things and turned it into a necklace full of the Turkish mementos, including a locket with Pebbles' picture in it. When I wore it to the office yesterday, everyone commented and asked if I'd bought it while in Turkey. Really a signature piece.

And last, but certainly not least, I met the adorable Anne!. She treated me to coffee and great company on a beautiful Texas evening. In blogger terms, Anne and I are practically neighbors, so it was about time we met in person. We laughed and chatted away like people who had known one another forever. Anne is getting ready to celebrate her signature birthday by taking a fun trip, too. She of porcelain skin and no lines or wrinkles does NOT look like she should be getting her AARP card like the rest of us. Oh, and I got a gadget lesson on how she makes her drawn art. So creative.

Anne and I were reflecting on all the gifts that blogging has brought us over the years - the people, the inspiration, the support, the fun. So just a brief but heartfelt thanks to all of you that make up the community.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Create your Village.

-Roxie
139

10 comments:

  1. I am soooo glad to be part of our little eVillage!
    It was a real treat to meet you and spend a little time!
    You are classy inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great fun when two people who write fun, creative blogs get together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny, I looked at the picture before I read this post and thought "that woman looks just like Anne!" - how very cool that you two got to meet!!! One of these days when I'm up in your neck of the woods we'll have to get together, too.

    Your necklace sounds magical. I can't wait to see a picture of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I told you how much I love your sayings at the end of each of your posts? They are so inspirational and have such specific association to what you are writing about that day. I don't know how you come up with such lovely quotes every day but I truly enjoy them.
    What a great picture of you two. Looks like you had a great time. And yes, I can't wait to see your necklace as well. How thoughtful a gift that was!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I'm feeling stressed or overwhelmed and find help and solace just from being with another - I always think "it really does take a village." Glad you and Anne H got to meet. Love when virtual friends become reality friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool that you got to meet the sweet and lovely Anne. I think a lot of us live relatively close. It would be so nice to get together with you, Anne,and Shelley and any other bloggers in the area.

    I LOVE the necklace idea. Can't wait to see pics of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awesome that your virtual village became reality for you! Love it. You know if I ever get that trip to Texas off my bucket list, you are a "must see" for me.

    I hope you can get us a photo of your necklace - what a lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK....I too have met Anne and I agree. She does have flawless young skin! Jealous much, Dana?

    Looking forward to a pic of the necklace. How very sweet of your friend. What we would ever do without friends? Those IRL and in the eVillage. I love how Anne worded that!

    great pic

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool that you and Anne H had a real life meet-up. Great picture of you two.

    The necklace sounds fabulous. What a very cool idea. Hope to see it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely photo! You are richly blessed with friends, and so fortunate for realizing it.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.