Friday, December 10, 2010

Day Eight Of Twenty: Trophies





I am still participating in the Day Twenty exercise. This is Day Eight.

1. Take a bath or shower. Wear cologne, perfume, deodorant, floss and brush your teeth. Shave. Do nails, eyebrows, ears.

No clothes.

2. Bed made, room picked up, laundry washed, kitchen clean, floor scrubbed. Check the toliets and sinks.

Make a list now; M - F. Assign one simple housekeeping chore to each day. Keep it simple. Monday could be vacuuming living room carpet; Tuesday could be washing towels day. Wednesday may be scrubbing kitchen floor day. No more than two cleaning activities per day; no more than 20 minutes total time required.

3. Review yesterday's hourly chart and make new chart for tomorrow.

Add to your lists of unproductive and productive activities.

4. Two more photos.

5. Make a list of six additional relatives or friends with whom you do not regularly respond.

Make another M-F list. Write the name of each person next to a day. Plan to do a two or three sentence email to the person your assigned to each day. Make a copies of these emails and file.

6. Two more "thank you emails."

Print copies and put in a folder.

7. Take a very good look at your body in the mirror. List three things you really like about your body; three things that you would like to change about your body.

8. At the end of the day, sit quietly in your living room or bedroom and write down the three or four things that you remember most about your childhood. Again, a new page with lots of room so we can continue adding to this list.

9. Put $1.25 in cash in a glass on your bedstand.

Accumulating tasks... just a reminder---

Eye contact always with everyone you meet. Making your bed. Photos. Names of any new people you meet. Background notes on the people that you have trouble liking. Growing lists of productive and unproductive work behaviors. Growing lists of things people at work complain about. Schedule of email correspondance; daily list of chores. Childhood things.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am breaking my arm patting myself on the back. I called the insurance company. I took the next little step. Today I will fax copies of the bids and see what happens, but I'm keeping myself in the game. I did have some insight into some of this based upon Ellen's post from yesterday about phobias. I don't know that I have a phone phobia, but I hate talking on the phone. I do not call people. And sometimes I don't even answer the phone when it rings. And because of this, it doesn't ring very often. And I wonder why my social circle had gotten so small. I'm running out of people to thank on this day twenty project! It's all a part of the deal. I don't know why I don't like to talk on the phone, but I mostly don't. I'm twenty times more apt to send an email or a text than use my actual words. I don't feel any real anxiety or anything, just a sense of dread. But perhaps shedding the light of logic on this, I can do somethings to change it.

I cannot tell you the last time I called someone just to chat. I don't call Pebbles and I don't call Bick unless I have something specific I want or need to know or feel I must tell them. Pebbles usually calls me every weekday morning and Bick calls me every evening. Hmmm, this is all very interesting. Are you a phone person?

Oh, and I do get another award - I finally filled out my expense report from Galveston last month. So I've got one more piece of paperwork to do and that is file for reimbursement for my medical flexible spending.

Went to the gym yesterday at lunch and to a meeting last night with more new people that oldsters. Something about the holidays, I think. I came home and fixed myself a lovely dinner of grilled salmon and grilled asparagus. It was yummy!

Today's plans include the office luncheon. Tonight I plan on working around the house and getting my chores done. I may sneak over and see a movie. Tomorrow the weather should be nice enough to ride, so I'm introducing myself to Clementine Peddleford all over again. I'm looking forward to that! And then some new shoes.


I'm still drinking tea, not coffee, in the mornings. And I am successful at not having caffeine after noon. My Diet Coke addiction is down to two in the morning. From a high of, well, think a really scary number.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Results from day seven. I've got some catching up to do on the housework. That's on tap for tonight. Still no photos, but I plan on taking some today at our office party.

There were no real complainers yesterday. I dealt with them the day before. Work productivity is good and satisfaction is high. I already keep and follow a monthly, categorized budget. Mostly with the follow. Getting my reimbursements will pull those things back in line. Saving the money, saving the receipts, looking people in the eye. Not much to dislike about The Closet.


Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Acknowledge your successes.

-Roxie

I'm taking a break from the scale, just to see how this feels. Eating has been healthful and appropriate. Exercise has been okay. The only thing left to chance is the timing of my body and how soon it wants to drop some of the weight I recently picked up. It will come. It's not about the number on the scale, it's about being healthy and engaging in healthful behaviors - in mind and body.

9 comments:

  1. So glad you took that step towards the insurance company. Sounds like you had a good day all the way around.

    Funny about me and the phone... I too tend to avoid it and don't know why. Then I will take or make a call and I usually so enjoy the conversation that I wonder why I don't do that more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, Helen. I'm the same way. I enjoy the calls/people after I'm on the phone - Lord knows it's not like anyone can get me to shut up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am cutting back (again) from my massive monster and coffee intake.... And the phone - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this 20 day thing you're doing. I keep saying I'm going to start it because it's just so cool. Maybe today since my holiday vacation starts today. Seems like a good time.

    About the phone thing. Me too. I hate it. I really prefer not to talk on the phone. I don't know what it is either, it's just not my preferred mehod to communicate.

    Funny, when you said you sent the bids to the insurance company and then mention possible phobia, I thought you said "birds" and I thought you sent pictures of "birds" to them and you'd been attacked by birds and now had a phobia to them (like Tippi Hedren in the Alfred Hitchcock movie The Birds). I was saying to myself, what the heck happened to her? Then I went back and read "bids". Oh brother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL @Diana - Oh, I have a complete and total bird phobia. Creepiest things, ever! Somewhere around here there is a video of me taken in Venice being beset with birds - I am doing a total Freak The F - Out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am DEFINITELY a phone person... I could talk for HOURS! And I do. I often call each one of my 4 aunts and "catch up." I call my long lost best friends and a few of my cousins. I too, used to call my mom pretty much daily, so maybe that is why I'm in the habit.

    But then again, I think I've always been this way. Remember when you had to pay for each minute you talked long distance? Back in the 80's when I lived in Oklahoma and everyone else lived elsewhere, my bills used to run me $200-300 a month. Thank god for updated technology!

    But don't beat yourself up about it... It is what it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Concerning the phone I was also a telephonophobia guy but thanks I am out of that now and I can talk happily on the phone now with no fear of being judged.It is really a great feeling to communicate with the ones I love LoL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dread is a good word, Roxie. I just dread it. And when I know I have to make a call, it's like a monkey on my back until I get it done. As I was reading your post I started thinking of my own family members who are probably sick to death of always being the ones to call me. Gotta get a handle on this. If you gather any insight, let's regroup and discuss it; maybe between the two of us we'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good to know I am not the only one who hates to talk on the phone! I just hate it don't know why I'm OK once I get going in the conversation. I can make calls if something is wrong just not for chatting you know?
    I too love this 20 day experiment your doing on your blog very interesting. I have gone to the site but I am procrastanating getting started....story of my life.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.