Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day Fourteen of Twenty: Tiny Treasures


Swapping up the format a bit. Day Fourteen is another effort to create and enforce a habit. And it's working. No, I'm not taking a lot of pictures, but I did take two last night. The benefits that I am gathering from this experiment come in the shape of more meaningful communications and connections. The woman at work that gets on my last nerve? This week, using this methodology, I was able to step outside of my "irritated" self and offer both some encouragement and kuddos on a job well done. Interactions with most everyone from clerks to waitstaff has been enhanced by increased eye contact and just a bit of slowing down and staying in the moment.

Last night was a prime example of this. I took my mom and sister to dinner at the new hotel in town - in their casual dining restaurant (with a Groupon!) and it was just wonderful. We went really early, so it was pretty empty. We got a wonderful table with the Christmas tree on one side and a beautiful fireplace, complete with fire, on the other. The hotel was decorated beautifully for Christmas. The meal was wonderful and the service was fabulous. I actually took pictures here. I haven't looked at them yet - hopefully they turned out. But the icing on the cake was our exit. We went back into the lobby as all of these beautifully dressed women in ball gowns were coming into the hotel for some sort of party. So we just stopped a watched for a few minutes. It was so fun. Then as we were leaving to walk back to the car, I spoke to and/or complimented several people that we passed. My sister's comment "Since when did you get so friendly?" The truth is, I didn't know that I wasn't until I made the decision to open up - open up my posture, open up my face, open up my smile and really connect. Now that I say that, I hope I'm not bordering on creepy!

ETA: picture of me and my sister from last night. She's rocking her new regime and has dropped 35 pounds.

Our Christmas light viewing adventure was fabulous. Oh my goodness. Horse drawn carriages all over the place, amazing, amazing homes beautifully decorated. It will be hard to top this. One more outing is scheduled for Tuesday, then it should be clear sailing until actual Christmas, other than a trip to the grocery store. And speaking of grocery stores, since I've got SadieLu today, I won't be getting over to the Middle Eastern grocery in Plano today, but I think I can send Slater up there, as he works close - of course he won't have a clue as to what to buy. But I think if we send him with a recipe, the staff, which are supposed to be very helpful, can help him figure out what he needs.

Another of the tiny treasures I've received this week is from my super secret boyfriend, Ewan McGregor. Now before you go and assume, let me tell you that I've never even seen Moulin Rouge. Nor any of the roles for which he is most famous. Nope, my love began on The Long Day Round - a documentary film starring he and Charlie Boorman as they ride their motorcycles around the world. It's an amazing series. I saw it several years go and now it's playing on Current TV and so during my lunch break gym time, I get to see bits of it all over again. It makes me happy. Amazing travelog and so much more.

My plans for yesterday did get changed a bit. Bick called and asked me to keep SadieLu, so he dropped by on his way down south and I've been enjoying puppy company this weekend. So while I didn't get in the big calorie burn yesterday, I did do a thorough cleaning/organizing/winnowing of stuff in The Closet, followed by a trip to donate extraneous items to the Goodwill. Closets are cleaned, drawers are organized, shelves are cleaned and straightened. Fridge cleaned out. Under the sink(s) cleaned out organized and consolidated. And right now, I'm enjoying the very zen-ness of it all - with a great cup of coffee and my favorite dog in the world.

I'm putting together a how-to manual for The Closet to leave for my house guests next week. So that is my arts-and-crafts project for the day.

Weather is supposed to be a bit warmer today, so she and I will do some dog walking a bit later and then I'll fix something for Bick and I to eat as he comes back through town.


Day Fourteen Tasks

Write everything down. Daily. Same pattern now. Don't slack.

1. Take a bath or shower. Wear cologne, perfume, deodorant, floss and brush your teeth. Shave. Do nails, eyebrows, ears.

2. Bed made. Sheets washed. You deserve clean bedding.

3. Continue your daily list non productive activities. .

Continue working to eliminate non productive activities. Fill your day with meaningful and significant tasks.

4. Take photos every day.

5. Friend List

6. Continue the thank you notes as needed.

Continue to print copies and put in a folder.

7. Continue writing down and memorizing the names of new people.

8. Keep your house in order.

9. Continue keeping receipts.

10. Continue finding ways to like everyone.

Again, it makes no difference to them. Only to you.

11. Put $1.25 in cash in a glass on your bedstand.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Treasure your treasures.

-Roxie

3 comments:

  1. That is a great picture of you and your sister - happiness just exudes from the expression on your faces! Glad last night was so wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two look so happy together. With that kind of smile on your face, no wonder you are drawing people to you. You have a welcoming look about you (not a creepy one! lol) I think it's wonderful that you're doing this experiment. It's obviously working and you don't know what kind of warm feeling you are leaving with the person you're complimenting - it may have just made their day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that picture. It looks like it captured a very fun evening!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.