Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day Twelve of Twenty: A Change In Strategy



Here's Day Twelve.


Day Twelve Tasks

When we rehearse plays, we practice the same lines and movement until we know them well enough to truly own them. Well rehearsed plays are carefully constructed improvisations. The lines and actions stay the same, but the execution always changes.

Write everything down. Daily.

1. Take a bath or shower. Wear cologne, perfume, deodorant, floss and brush your teeth. Shave. Do nails, eyebrows, ears.

2. Bed made. Sheets washed. You deserve clean bedding.

3. Continue your daily list non productive activities.

Continue working to eliminate non productive activities. Track your daily accomplishments. List the projects that you have successfully finished.

4. Take photos every day. Print and label.

5. Friend List

6. Continue the thank you notes as needed.

Continue to print copies and put in a folder.

7. Continue writing down and memorizing the names of new people. Always look in their eyes.

8. Keep your house in order. Implement schedule of the things you want to change.

9. Plan a specific monthly budget. Continue keeping receipts. It makes you acutely aware of where your money goes.

10. Continue finding ways to like everyone.

Again, it makes no difference to them. Only to you.

11. Put $1.25 in cash in a glass on your bedstand.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am a firm believer in The Easy Button. I like to make decisions when they are easy to make, not when they are difficult. If boundaries are set before faced with a decision, then the decision becomes easier to implement because the decision has already been made without the added pressure of being in the moment. Controlling what comes into the house is a prime example of the Easy Button. If I can make one decision to NOT bring something into the house, then I don't have to make the hundred decisions about each bite of it. In the Abstainer-versus-Moderator debate, I definitely fall on the Abstainer side of the house.

It is interesting how making these strategic decisions can have such a large impact on success or failure. I'm having a helluva time keeping out of the baked goods and sweets at work, it seems. I haven't had this much trouble in ages! I'm sort of looking at me and asking WTH? And yesterday it dawned on me - it was a change in environment. A couple of things have happened that have altered my course and not all of them bad - 1. I've given up drinking Diet Coke after noon. I've been very successful with this. I've switched over to the add-powder-to-water lemonade drink mix. I still haven't been successful with the water plain. The second change is the remodel at work. Our offices just underwent a major remodel, which included adding a kitchen with a long counter (see buffet bitch from yesterday) on the other side of the hall. The water fountain was moved into the room behind the kitchen. See the problem yet? Well, every time I go to fill up my she-hates-water-but-drinks-fake-lemonade bottle, I must run the gauntlet of holiday treats brought into to the office. We are an office of 16 people. Yesterday there were four cakes and various other baked goods sitting out on the counter. Yea, well, duh. It took me a while to realize that I need to change my ways. The Ozarka water fountain thingy will not be seeing my hide. I'll find my water someplace else. I'm pressing the Easy Button on this one. What I don't see can't dimple me.

Today's food is planned and nearly packed. Gym at lunch. I'm fixing a quick dinner for me and my sister and then I've got to go grocery shopping. I will hit the gym after that.

No new insights on the project. Still concentrating most of the eye contact. And if there was a major takeaway for me, this is probably it. This was a bad habit rooted in years ago and it needed to be addressed. It had just never really been pointed out to me. I am grateful for this opportunity to address it. Never really dawned on me that it was something I could change. Yet another one of my beliefs about myself that turned out to not be true.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Not every battle is worth fighting.

-Roxie

4 comments:

  1. You've gotta do whatever needs to be done in order to avoid sabotage (that word: sabotage, seems to be heavy in my vocabulary lately for some reason). Still true, however. I don't know if I would be able to deal with having a homemade bakery just feet away from my work space. You are way ahead of the game by recognizing it and planning ahead - great thinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way with the abstain vs. moderate issue. It is so much easier to leave the bad food at the store once. Bringing it home just forces me to decide every damn minute that I don't want what ever the hell it is that I shouldn't have brought home.

    The hardest part is getting my spouse to see that. If it is home, I will eat it. If I leave it at the store, I can't. Simple is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call on finding a different path to the water...some days, I can walk right by treats on the counter. Others? Struggle. Why put yourself through that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not every battle is worth fighting!
    So why fight!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.