Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day Twenty of Twenty: Final Day



Bick's mom passed away late last night, peacefully. She was 87. We had planned to head back down to Houston this weekend, but instead, they are headed in this direction and we will all go to her hometown near the Red River to finalize arrangements. Actually, I suspect I will stay back and prepare dinner, I don't really know. Bick is still sleeping after being up most of the night. I will do what I can to be of the most service during this time.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Day Twenty Tasks

Question Day. Congratulations.

Feel different? You should. In hundreds of small but significant and realistic ways.

If you indeed followed this daily list, you have accomplished what most people only dream about doing, but lack the drive or discipline to do--- bring about a decisive organization to their lives. Most fall back into the inconsistent lazy routine and continue to find themselves trapped; living from daily laundry load to laundry load; wondering why they feel lost and helpless.

Are you now incredibly happy? Did all your troubles at work and home magically disappear? Does your life now have significance and meaning?

No. But it does have a realistic order. And you are the one who decides and executes that order. You are running your own life. Your house is organized, your budget is projected, you understand the dynamics of your thoughts and work. Your base of friends is strengthening. You are making decisions about your significant other relationships.

Are you any richer? Well, a little, you now have $25.00 that you probably wouldn't have had. Take the money, if you would like, and donate it to an organization like Kiva.com, that provides small loans to struggling third world businessman. People, like us in many ways, who crave control over the uncontrollable influences in their lives that lock them in physical poverty and emotional despair.

Those who have followed this twenty day routine have expressed that they feel "more organized," "more aware," " more settled." Hopefully you feel somewhat the same.

If you like, I always enjoy hearing from you. I enjoy your comments and suggestions on how to strengthen the process offered here.
Click the Contact Us for a visit; or david@daytwenty.com.

Your sweetest revenge on an apathetic universe is living well.

Fight the tide. Make lists. Look at life realistically and make your own decisions. Live long. Choose happiness.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Day Twenty has been a very good experience for me. Am I vastly different than I was when I started? No. But the trajectory has changed just a bit. I have seen the difference my choices can make on the richness of my life. By making eye contact, I am more present, more in the moment. I am making new connections or enhancing old ones. This small change, when practiced, can have a huge ripple effect as I move into the new year with my CONNECTIONS theme.





Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Choose happiness.

-Roxie

12 comments:

  1. Wow - a great ending to the 20 days.
    I have tried the eye contact thing.
    In every case, the other person was looking at me,
    waiting for me to look at them! Who knew?

    I'm glad Dear Bick's Mom made a peaceful transition.
    It's so hard at any rate! Bless your sweet, generous heart - And Bick's!
    If thoughts travel, I'm sure many many good,
    supportive thoughts are coming y'alls way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My deepest sympathy to Bick because no matter how peaceful her passing, I know he is going to have to work through this.

    The whole time you were doing your twenty day experiment, I kept thinking, "Look how easy it is to save $25. All you need to do is take $1.25 each day and put it aside." Since I'm working on saving more and spending less, that rang a bell with me. As you said, "small change" can have a huge ripple effect.

    Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has it been twenty days? I greatly admire your discipline, Roxie. Noticing change, regardless of how small is such an important lesson. Glad to hear that you've learned more about yourself (the most important thing of all, I think).
    So sorry to hear of Bick's mother. Losing parents is such a hard thing anyway, but there's something about a son losing his mother that makes things so difficult. My husband is going on 6 months without his mother and it's still hard for him. Glad he has you to support him through this especially hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo Helen's comment - even though you know it's for the best, it's still a difficult thing to lose a parent. Hope Bick and his family find peace and comfort together this weekend.

    Congratulations on completing the 20 day challenge - I think just sticking with anything for 20 days is great, and the fact that you learned so much from it is a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless her heart. It's never easy to loose a parent. No matter how old you are. You and Bick's family will be in my prayers.

    I loved following your 20 days! Congrats indeed. Still loving the concept of the ripple effect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sincere condolences to Bick and you and your family. I echo what everyone has said...it's hard.

    I've really enjoyed reading these past 20 days and I think what stands out for me most is your comment that your "trajectory has changed just a bit." Who needs "vastly different"? The ripple effects are more powerful than one big wave!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts and prayers are with Bick and you and the family. It's good that you are there for him. Loss is never easy.

    Take care. Let me know if I can be of help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts are with you and Bick and family. It's never easy to live a loved one, but it's especially hard during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry. Sending my sympathy to Bick and his family. Glad you're there to support him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must have had some kind of premonition, that I asked about Bick's mom on your last post. It was probably about the time...glad it was peaceful.

    So sorry. Give Bick a hug, and I hope he is doing okay. With you by his side, I'm sure it's much easier to handle.

    I'm with Tena, from your last post...I wish you lived closer! (to me, I mean!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both you and Bick will be in my thoughts and prayers. So sorry for the loss its never easy to lose a parent.

    Its already been said but I too enjoyed reading about your twenty days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. {{{Roxie and Bick}}} I have been without internet, so I'm just learning of Bick's moms passing. I'm so sorry for this loss. Losing a mom whether they live long or short is a painful experience. My heart and prayers go out to you all.

    love, jill

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.