Monday, January 31, 2011

I Met My Match

A funny thing happened on my long bike ride on Saturday. I was riding along, just having passed the quarter point of the ride and I was thoroughly enjoying myself. I was quite literally thinking about how I normally envied Dana and her walking buddies, Shelley and her running group and others who get to exercise with a group - and that today was so perfect by itself. I was thinking how peaceful and wonderful the ride was - what a gift the amazing weather turned out to be and how just keeping cadence and breathing was almost like an active meditation. It was glorious. And ironic. And then I was passed.

The woman who started to pass me this time had passed me earlier in the ride. And then I'd passed her on the climb and didn't give it a second thought. But this time, instead of passing she sort of struck up a conversation basically along the lines of how hard it was to find someone of "our age and pace". And there you go. We ended up riding the remainder of the ride together - talking some - she lives just a couple of blocks away from me - exchanging contact information and wimpiness factors (how cold? how much wind is too much wind to ride in? three hour max?) and plan to ride again together on Saturday morning - weather permitting. It will be nice to have someone to ride with, I think.

Sunday dinner ended up just kicking my behind. By the time the guests left (including Bick's ex-wife), we were both just wiped out. It went really well, but man, even with good planning and prep, dinner for eight is just hard work. But everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I ate too much junky stuff and not enough real food. We didn't really eat a regular meal until dinner time - just snacking through the day - and that just doesn't work for me. And I'm feeling the "hangover" today. It wasn't over-eating, it was just eating bad fuel and expecting my body to like it.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Enjoy the drop-ins.

-Roxie

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like Karma to me Roxie! And I'm jealous. I want an IRL running partner again!

    Dinner for Eight? That's an exercise in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish i could your riding buddy! She's a lucky woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think doing anything is better when done in groups - not only to make yourself accountable, but it makes the time go by faster with a buddy!

    It always amazes me when I make dinner for a big group, the hours it takes me to make it, and the mere minutes it gets eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cool- a buddy! There is always strength in numbers, especially in case of emergency! That is neat!

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These bodies of ours....
    they seem to know what they like,
    better than we do!
    ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice surprise it is to come across someone who has the same interests - especially when you least expect it! Finding an exercise buddy is no easy task. Either people are too hard-core or too non-committal. Maybe this will work out perfectly for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great is that? Some one to ride with! I'm jealous, too.

    After dinner for eight I think you might just be feeling worn out! Wow, girl, that's some undertaking. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Having an exercise buddy makes me look forward to running (or working out - I loved my group) and I'm so happy that woman found you. I hope you have a great ride next weekend - sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it that you met a bike riding friend. That's so cool! I wish I lived by you, I'd sure be your bike riding friend. You know, women of our age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely believe in serendipitous moments! It's how I met my future jogging buddy at a street corner while walking my dog. We've become great friends, and I really enjoy her views and perspectives as we try to solve the world's (and our) problems. It comes from being open to new adventures!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.