Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm A Quitter

Yesterday marked my five year quit-aversary. After smoking for thirty years, I finally and for good, kicked the habit. I'd quit before, sometimes for as long as two years, but really I hadn't quit - I just wasn't smoking at the time. This time, I've quit. I'm done. I'm through. I cannot foresee a situation that would ever draw me back in. The desire is gone. Well, occasionally it will drift back - but it's easy to say "I'm not a smoker" and the thought drifts off as quickly as it came.

I will admit that quitting was one of the most difficult things that I've ever done. Mine was an emotional addiction, to be sure, and it was powerful. Quitting left me in a puddle and it was exercise that really pulled me through it. I started running a month or so before I quit and it was running that kept me out of the pack long enough for the quit to stick. I had already taken up healthful eating habits (I'd lost about 75 pounds about seven years before) and had started working out a bit, so smoking was no longer in line with how I lived my life. It no longer made sense to me and for me.

And for those of you who have never smoked, good for you. For those of you that have and have quit, you know what this is. A thirty year, pack-a-day habit. Yet another one of my dubious achievements - dropping around 120 pounds, climbing out of a mountain of debt, and smoking for thirty years and then quitting. I go big or go home! I'm never one to nip anything in the bud! I wait until it's a challenge!

Food and exercise spot on. I was off for MLK and had a very productive day. I'm easing my way back into thinking about buying a house, so I did a little research on that front. I'm also listening to a fabulous audiobook - downloaded from my library. Really good stuff. It's hitting me right where I live. Cha-Cha had two low tires, so no riding yesterday. I did, however, soak up the sun.

I'm off for a "get started" meeting at Reata South. I am looking forward to a wonderful finished product and having a new resource to call upon.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. If you smoke, please stop.

-Roxie

18 comments:

  1. CONGRATS ON THE QUITTING~
    Having never smoked I can only imagine how difficult that was and continues to be.
    a daily choice Id imagine.

    all I can compare it to is my daily MOMMY MERLOT (aka diet mt dew).
    one a day
    needed or not :)

    and Ive yet to give that up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - 5 years down the road is indeed a notable anniversary. You've been on a nice steady self improvement path for a long time.

    The audiobook author is new to me but she sure has a list of titles that sound relevant!

    Great to hear you so positive and "in charge" of your life and your reactions to it. Look forward to following the story of the kitchen project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping is great!
    I'm sure that was rough - but very much worth it!
    Like so many things in life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Roxie - that is so great! Have always looked with admiration on friends who quit smoking and felt that if they could do that, surely I could lose and maintain weight. To know someone who has done BOTH is quite an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you ! I've never smoked but everyone in my family did..everyone. There are times that I think it would be wonderful to just go outside and smoke. it's that oral thing..Good luck with the house. this is probably the best time in the world to buy, so I hope you get a cute little place that is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your quittiversary!! It's a great achievement having dropped that habit. After conquering that, almost nothing is off limits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I don't understand why teens today are still finding cigarettes alluring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats, exactly what I would like to do permanently!!! Stop smoking and over eating and over spending!!! Thanks for inspiration. Actually it has been 3 days since my last ciggy. Going for 5 then 10...baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I think of all the money I've saved in the past 18 years (as I've steadily watched the price of a pack go up), I've never, ever regretted quitting.

    I hope you're going to buy yourself a nice little anniversary present ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go!! You have accomplished much!!! I love that you make things a challenge and then tackle them. AWESOME!!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one time when quitting is a very good thing. Congratulations. I've heard it is one of the most difficult things to do.

    Have a wonderful, joy-filled day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! I know that quitting smoking ~35 years ago is what saved my father's life and gave him all those years. I've never been a smoker and for that am so very grateful. Yeah, I've had other addictions (including food and shopping) so for you to have conquered all three? Wow...serious awe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never smoked, but I've seen many friends try to quit, so I can somewhat appreciate what a great feat it is to beat it. Way to go on the anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your quitaversary! Think of how great your life is now with both weight loss and no smoking, not to mention all the emotional work you have done lately.

    You are a true inspirations Roxie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! It is hard to stay quit, so getting five years under your hat is fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What remarkable achievements - some that I wasn't even aware of....120 lbs? That is awesome, Roxie. And quitting smoking (although I've never done it) is one of the hardest things you'll ever do, says my husband who quit about 10 years ago, so big congrats on that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The only time when being a quitter is a good thing-good for you-kudos!

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Roxie, I am an ex-smoker too and quitting (after trying 20 times or so) was muuuch harder than anything else I've ever done. The only good thing I can say about it is I have so much empathy for others struggling with all manner of drug and food addictions, and more empathy for myself during my ongoing struggle to lose weight. Cheers to treating our bodies with the respect they deserve!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.