Monday, January 17, 2011

Ode To Joy

I am guilty of tamping down joy. In the past, I haven't allowed myself to get excited about things because, well, they might not come to pass and then I'd, 1. be disappointed and 2. look stupid. And I don't really know which of those two factors was the most powerful in this situation. I grew up with the belief in "not jinxing" something. That if I really wanted something or really was looking forward to something, that acknowledging that fact would somehow cause it not to happen. I believed that the world was out to do me harm, not good. Of course, I don't really believe that now, but it has taken a long time to realize that I still tamp down my joy.

So instead of thinking about all the things that could go wrong, I am choosing to be excited. I am electing to be joyful about the new kitchen in Reata South. I am not going to think about what troubles might befall the project, but instead, I am going to hold the picture of what it will look like completed in my mind and be happy! I will not speak of the project with dread anymore. Hey! New, updated kitchen!

Tamping down joy is really just another symptom of trying to control/predict what new disaster was going to befall me so that I could prepare. Nothing like being a crap magnet - if that's what I would think about, then that's what I would get. If I go into a situation looking for the bad, then that is exactly what I am going to see. It doesn't make me smart, it doesn't make me a "realist", it just makes me less joyful.

Food and exercise were of the unhealthful variety. Today is a new day and I'm on holiday, so I'll get off my butt here in a few minutes and assess the outside environment. I just might be able to take Cha-Cha out for a spin.

On another note, if you haven't done so, go NOW, TODAY, ASAP to see The King's Speech.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Allow joy into your life.

-Roxie

8 comments:

  1. Oh, do I see myself in this post. I used to be like that much of my young adult life; even now, I have to wrestle with my thoughts to keep them from getting out of control. It's just too easy to see the bad, because the bad stuff hurts us; being reminded of a hurtful moment will pop into my head before a joyful moment unless I'm willing to change the way I look at life. I am working SO hard on this right now and am glad that you are getting a handle on it. We deserve joy in our lives, Roxie. We just have to believe that it's there for the taking. Have a great Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I tend to do the "don't jinx it" thing, too, but I never looked at it as squashing the joy. Sounds like a great topic to ponder during gym time today! Thanks, Roxie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh sometimes I am so good at tamping down the joy that even if the whole experience IS joyful I have a hard time accepting it. I will be excited to see what this small shift in thinking does for you Roxy. EnJOY your bike ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to joy!

    I want to see The King's Speech so badly. May have to talk hubby into taking me. :)

    Have a joy filled day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to this brand of magical thinking as a means of controlling or exacting outcomes. I think I used to fear what I'd do if disappointed or devastated by a life situation, believing at some level I couldn't "handle it", or the emotions of it.

    I love to hear you claiming joy and optimism rather than trying to live always preparing for and expecting the worse.

    Yet another thoughtful post that has set my own mind to reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting - you talk about tamping down joy which I have never thought about before but i can so relate when I consider my natural instinct to be doom and gloom at how I look at things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post and writing! Glad to make my way to your blog for the first time today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the suggestion on The Kings Speech. Looks like an award winner based on the trailer. Hopefully I can beg my wife to go sometime this week. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.