Tuesday, February 15, 2011

House Hunting


What a difference a year makes! I am cautiously optimistic about the new realtor. She seems straightforward, honest and a real advocate for ME to get the house I need in the price range I want to pay. So far, so good.

The Corner House turned out to be a huge disappointment. As the old saying goes, "Never judge a book by it's cover" - never judge a house from it's pictures on Realtor dot com. The house, if left untouched, would have been okay, but there was a patio that had been "converted" into one ugly mess. And the newly redone kitchen? Had no place for a refrigerator and had the upper cabinets installed all the way at the ceiling. I could barely, and I do mean barely, reach the bottom shelf of the uppers. The two car garage had a vinyl floor in it and hadn't seen a car in decades. There were all sorts of built ins in the garage that would have to be torn out in order to get two cars back in - which is fine, as I only have one car, but craziness. And that doesn't even begin to address the bathroom that was added to make it a master suite. Can you say contact paper on the counter tops? All of these additions would have to be subtracted and at substantial cost. No thanks.

The Park House wasn't without issues. The house itself was just fine. The newly redone kitchen's cheapo cabinets at least didn't give me splinters and all the drawers opened, which is more than I can say for The Corner House. While I loved the location, I didn't love the neighbors. I could totally fix every little thing with this house, but I can't fix the neighbors. So that one is off the list.

And I feel okay about it. Something perfect will come along. Or something that I can make perfect. I told Jerri, my realtor, that I would prefer an un-updated kitchen. I have an interior designer for a kid and I have a contractor/remodeller guy who does fabulous work. I'd rather do it myself and get more for my buck. So we shall see.

I was off-kilter yesterday and the food followed. I haven't been sleeping so well lately, and so night before last took an A to help me sleep. Didn't keep me asleep past 3:30 and it left me with a wicked hangover. I kept trying to caffeine and sweet my way out of it, but it didn't work. Ah well. Today is a new day. I slept well last night and I've got a spin class today. Food and beverage is packed for the day and I shall do my best to stay away from the vending machine!

I received a gorgeous flower arrangement from Bick yesterday. The card said simply "I choo choo choose you. Google it." I'd have included a picture, but I forgot to take my camera to work with me - because who would need a digital camera on the day they were going to look at houses? Doh!

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Things are not always as they appear.

-Roxie
143.5

12 comments:

  1. You ain't just whistling Dixie with the house hunting stuff. So challenging! But you're right, your house is out there somewhere patiently waiting for you. Have fun finding it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a big deal that you like the realtor and feel she gets you and will work FOR you and not just for herself. Boy - those ceiling hung cabinets were, er...interesting. And who the heck needs a refrigerator!? What were they thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, just like the valentine Ralph gave to Lisa on the Simpsons! And I didn't even have to google it, lol.

    I was still trying to figure out the weird placement of that one cabinet/half wall when you pointed out the upper cabinets at the ceiling - what were they thinking??? The amount of wall space under the cabinets was funny.

    Glad you have the confidence to tackle a kitchen redo after what you've been through with Reata South - see, there was a reason for all of that angst! :) Your house is out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet sweet card...bet the flowers are great.
    houses shmouses....lots to consider
    and, insomnia SUX!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Valentine from your sweetie!

    As for the house hunting, the kitchen cabinets in the photo were incredibly unusable! I have seen cupboards reach to the ceiling or nearly so, but they were also longer and the lower parts were closer to the countertops, with additional usable shelving. Keep looking, and have faith that there is a house for you out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw a sign yesterday-
    ever judge a book by it's movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And of course, by that, I meant "NEVER!"
    drats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the description of cheapo cabinets (not) giving splinters. That is what I have in my kitchen. I'm glad I'm not moving though.
    Nice of Bick to send the sweet valentine. I got nuttin. I'm okay with nuttin as opposed to what I got from that last relationship. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see that I'm not the only Ralphie fan :)
    Love that you're taking us with you on your house hunt. There are some real stinkers out there, but you'll find the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you least expect it, "your" perfect house will come along.

    Those vending machines are evil. Nothing good ever comes out of them. :-)

    Glad you had a nice Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I laugh that in myriad ways my husband is the woman and Im the man.
    the stereotypical traits I mean.

    I loathed the house hunting the house decorating (and loathe the clothes shopping and the shoe shopping).

    Ive married my perfect match.
    wait.
    this wasnt supposed to be about ME was it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love cabinets that go to the ceiling, but only if they're the 42" cabinets! I can't believe they did the shorter cabinets that way!

    I've still got a kitchen re-do on my to-do list, and I've sworn off every buying another house that needs one. After it's completed, though, I may feel differently. :)

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.