Friday, March 4, 2011

Fall Back Position

The house was a non-starter, but I found two condos that could really work and a third that was a close second. I really liked the entire condo complex. It was right next to the park that leads directly into the biking trails. They were all bigger than I'd imagined 1147 sq ft, two bedroom 1.5 bath. The kicker on my favorite one was that it was upstairs, with no easy way to store my bike, other than hauling Clementine Peddleford up the stairs myself. There is a lovely little room that would work for bike-on-trainer/gym area, if I wanted to portage up.

The thing that I didn't like was that all utilities, etc were bundled. The fees were right at $500 per month, which included electric, basic cable, trash, water and sewer. Which is great, except that I tend to be very frugal with those things and would be subsidizing someone else. The all-inclusive, while very convenient, may not make the most economic sense for me. However, there is a lot to be said for living pretty maintenance free, but I would be tied to whatever someone else thought of as good maintenance. Gah! I need to break that down to try to figure out how much is actual maintenance, because it does seem kind of steep, although the place was huge. And because I saw it during the day, there were a lot of little old ladies milling about. Including one you could tell would be a Nosy Parker. Which, might not be all bad. As with everything there will be goods and bads. These were three viable options but I'm not ready to jump just yet.

My friend Barbie hadn't gone back out of town to work, so I asked her to join me on this look, as she lives in a condo in a different part of town. She has a great eye and was helpful. So I ended up with two restaurant meals yesterday, both chicken tortilla soup and side salad. No exercise yesterday, so I've failed at March Madness, but I will continue to do my best.

I'm on a six-month watch-and-see for my right breast, so I've got another diagnostic mammogram and who-knows-what-else scheduled for today. So I'll hit the gym at lunch, as I've got another outing tonight. The GNO crew is doing one of those byob art classes, preceded by dinner at a local BBQ joint. I'll try to take a picture of my creation. Mine will be the sober sunflower. Should be fun! After that, I don't have much on the agenda. Bad weather moving in on Saturday and Sunday, so no outdoor riding, although I did manage to buy a floor pump that I can actually use. So I'll try to get up early on Saturday, get in some exercise, run some errands and then head up to Bick's, I suppose.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Give yourself some options.

-Roxie
143

10 comments:

  1. I wish you could find a little house like mine... it's practically condoish with a teeny tiny front and side yard and the previous owners fenced in the back yard and then turned it into a patio! It's like we have the best of both worlds... stand alone house but not so much to maintain.

    You'll find your plac - both figuratively and literally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the time is right and you're ready, the home will present itself. I really believe that, but it always irritates when my timing doesn't match with the universe's!

    I have bilat diagnostic mammos next Tuesday. I'm not worried because the cyst from August is gone. Just have to get it done. Have a great w/e.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there is no hurry to find any place, so that is the good thing. As always, there will be things on the want list that have to be prioritized and what you might be willing to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $500 for just the things you mentioned? Hmmmmm... sorry that seems very high. I guess it depends on the electric, as this means you could BLAST your A/C all you want and then the same with the heat, and you wouldn't "have" to be so frugal, but still. I'm thinking it should be more like $300, but not sure. I am sure you'll do the research, so I hope it all works out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are spot on that patience is crucial when buying (or selling) real estate. Harder yet is trying to remove the emotion from it (poor Pebbles), but if you can, it helps make the whole process MUCH easier.

    And DO NOT give up on March Madness! Just exercise twice in one day (make it good) and 'adjust' your goal to 31 workouts in 31 days. Done. You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, bless your heart, Roxie! I'm sending positive vibes your way for the best outcomes on your tests. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, my Nosy Parker neighbor came in handy when she called me last night to say my car alarm was going off and my back door was open. Set off quite the panic in me, since I was 1500 miles away, but everything was fine. Still, it was nice that SOMEONE (read: not my husband) was paying attention, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The perfect home is out there for you, whether it's a smallish house or the perfect condo. Wherever you land will be perfect for you. Because that's just how you roll. :)

    I didn't know you had one of those "watch and see breasts". I have one two! It's been a year and half, three mamograms, and two fine needle aspirations. I have to have another mamogram in about three months. My doctor even sent me a registered letter for my last mamogram and FNA. I kept putting it off and she sent a letter that it wasn't something I could put off. So far, so go. If the next FNA goes well, hopefully I'll be back on a regular schedule of one a year.

    BTW, if you have a FNA, where they stick a long needle in your breasts and pump it back and forth to find the perfect spot to get some cells for biopsy, I have a few tips. One, take a Vicodin, your doctor will prescribe one pill for this unpleasant experience. Bring your iPod and noise canceling headphones if you have them (if not, regular headphones should work), and a sleep mask.

    I did this on the recommendation of the ultrasound tech after my first miserable experience where I was in tears. It made a world of difference. Instead of stopping the doctor after four samples because I couldn't take the pain I let him get 12 samples and didn't even notice. Drugs, darkness and not hearing that horrible sound of the pump sucking out my breast tissue made it bearable. In fact, almost fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im with leslie and tend to be...less than receptive to my sibling whos always telling me WAIT WHEN THE UNIVERSE IS READY XYZ WILL APPEAR.

    but she's usually right :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.