Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I Am Adventurous



I am Adventurous. This is one of my favorite descriptors and one I find I can apply without discomfort. I find it the most empowering! I am adventurous because: I have taken a kayak to go whale watching and got really close; I have parasailed off the top of a mountain in Colorado; I will go all kinds of places and do all kinds of things, even solo; I got nearly-nude in a traditional Turkish bath; Hell, I went to Turkey - just me and my kiddo - and not with a group. I am Adventurous.


Hmmm. That was an interesting exercise and I realized something that I hadn't really thought of before - now I did take Pebbles with me to Turkey, but every other adventurous thing I've done, I've done by myself. Not alone, obviously, but not with a group of people whom I know saying "Hey, let's go do XYZ". These little adventures have been things I've done on my own. I have always known that I find solo travel so amazing and empowering (lord, I hate that word - help me think of another that means the same thing but doesn't sound so Oprahized!).

Looks like I'm getting bad news about Grandma's condo. The seller has several offers (if I believe my agent) and mine is not the highest. So, it was not to be for me, apparently. I can now quit decorating that place in my mind!

I must confess to not getting to the gym yesterday and for having a pisspoor reason not to - it was raining and I didn't want to go out in the rain. I wasn't wearing the shoes for it and I didn't want to get my hair wet! So there will be no such excuses today!

Last night's dinner was just wonderful! Such an inventive menu and Talia is such a dear. We tend to make tapas out of everything - rather than order entrees, we are more likely to order a couple of appetizers, a couple of different salads, share all of that and then split a dessert. Last night we had: roasted beet hummus on rye bread crisps, roasted winter squash and cheese casserole on toast points, warm winter vegetable salad with cornbread croutons, roasted green bean salad with bitters, pears, farm raised boiled egg and house-made cheese curds. We topped it off with a shared banana pudding dessert. Totally scrumptious! I've got two more Groupons to this place and lots of menu to plow through. Now there's and adventure I can sink my teeth into!

Talia has taken up bike riding and just got a bike about a month ago. So on Saturday, I'm hitching up Cha-Cha to MalibuKen and I am heading out the wilds of Parker county to go on a rails-to-trails ride. I am so looking forward to it.

And I never write to inspire anyone's jealousy, but I am right now. On Friday night, in celebration of my Sis' birthday, she and I are going to fulfill a lifelong dream. We are going to see this guy in concert. Little pink houses for you and me! I must admit to always being a complete sucker for a smart ass in an FFA jacket! You can take the girl out of the country and all that.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Do something you can be proud of.

-Roxie
142

7 comments:

  1. For some reason your piss poor excuse of rain made me laugh. You really are adeventurous. I have always thought that. Moving to the city from the country...ALONE. The food you had last night for dinner was even adventuours!

    Sorry the condo didn't work out. Moving on, right?? Your adventurous!

    I saw JCM back in the 80's and then again in the 90's. Oh, oh, how I am jealous! I used to dig guys in the FFA jacket myself!

    Haave a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I petted an alligator. Does that count? :)

    And yes, you hit my jealousy button dead center.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE adventurous and I'm glad you can joyfully see that in yourself and see what is has brought about in your life!

    But not going out because you didn't want to wet your hair? Doesn't quite meld with Adventurous Roxie lol!

    I hope the concert is everything you hope it to be. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOH, JCM!!! I am green. He has just enough badass in him to appeal to me. :) Enjoy that concert!

    Funny that you wrote about being adventurous the same day as my solo walk post...I love that we are both being daring! OK, you way more than me, but still. It's cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done some VERY adventurous stuff. Wow! Really impressive. I mean that. As a matter of fact, I'm adding some of your stuff to my wish list of things to do. :)

    Sorry the condo didn't work out but I take it as a sign that it wasn't the right one for you.

    Have a great time at the concert.
    PS: I'm a country girl too. Grew up barefoot and in the woods or riding horses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of the rails to trails!
    I know it will be a great (empowering) adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it that you are adventurous in so many ways. You amaze me, because I hold back--more timid and a bit fearful of the unknown. But I find that in my later years, I am feeling a strong tug of paths not taken. Why not?

    BTW: Have fun with John Cougar! I hear he's taken now--by Meg Ryan. An odd couple? Maybe not--I think she likes "bad boys." Maybe the Cougar has mellowed in his older age.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.