Thursday, March 31, 2011

I Am Authentic

* This is a series of posts I'm calling my Attagirl Portfolio. Using this poster (available @ www.allposters.com) as my inspiration, I am creating a series of life-enriching (not empowering, heh!) posts. These are to be hauled out and re-read in case of emergency when the only other option appears to be the liberal application of apple fritters directly to my ass.


I Am Authentic. Honestly, this one is still a work in progress for me. It is part of my intention for this year to try to move through/past my people-pleasing tendencies. For me, being authentic means to know myself well enough to ask for what I want. While I don't believe I've ever been really fake, I haven't been as true to myself as was healthy. So I've made great strides in this area, there is still a ways to go. The movement forward in this area is there, but I am having a hard time qualifying or quantifying it. But I do know myself better than I ever have before and with that comes more peace. And I'll take peace any day.

Had a wonderful drop-in visit from my friend Michele last night. It has been since Elvis' birthday back in January since I had seen her. She was in the neighborhood and just called to see if I was available and I was. What a nice treat! We are both working on expanding our social network/circles and activities.

I just sat down with my morning cup of coffee and realized that I have a fasting bloodtest at 10:45 this morning. Grrrr! That's five hours away. I will be chewing someone's arm off by them. What was I thinking? I am unsure if I will last until then. I should just go back to bed for a couple of hours - if I thought I could go back to sleep, I'd certainly consider it.

Food was at it should be yesterday and exercise was great. HGTV has made it's triumphant return to the gym cardio monitors, so I am one happy-girl. Oh, and speaking of HGTV - shows how far Grandma's condo has slipped off the radar. I gave my last-best a few days ago. I got a counter offer at 9pm last night. I stuck by my last best, as I think it is appropriate (and about 2k over what it's worth, as it is, IMHO). So this looks like just some tactic - I was told by my agent that there were multiple bids going in and mine was not the highest. Looks like I was given the opportunity to create a bit of a bidding war. Not going to jump at that bait. I have what I consider to be a fair offer and I'm sticking with it.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. You are the best you ever.

-Roxie
142

7 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant series. One that everyone should take on in some form on their own blog. Sometimes it takes devotion to things like this to keep us accountable. It's been 3 months since the end of my HL Challenge and if I don't remind myself to keep up the attitude, I regress! Good work, Roxie. Looking forward to reading more from this series (and I may have to steal this idea!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! And, giggled at apple fritters to your ass.
    Thanks for the jolt of positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roxie, you are very inspiring to me!

    I think you are doing the right thing to let the condo go. Many times people pay more thinking that is the only property for them, and then end up struggling later with payments or having to budget more than they are comfortable with.

    There is a ton of real estate out there to be had :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the 'atta girl' series. Such a great way to do an inventory of ones assets!

    Smart move not getting caught up in that bidding war too. That can be such a nasty little trap to get wrapped in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In this market, it's hard to believe there would be a bidding war for a Grandma condo - glad you are sticking to your guns. And that seems pretty authentic and assertive to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Attagirl series. You come through in your writing as very authentic. I share the people pleasing that has been so deeply "installed" in some of us. But every time we tell our own truth and quietly set our own boundaries even when we fear we might be misinterpreted, we move closer to our truest and best selves. You're doing it, Roxie.

    BTW - a lot of the HGTV shows are starting new seasons in April...can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Authentic" is definitely a word I would use to describe you, Roxie. :-) I was so comfortable with you, and that to me means you are the real thing...i.e. "Authentic."

    Glad you didn't get involved in a bidding war. That type of thing is rather demoralizing.

    Thanks for your encouragement about my husband. I was a bit freaked out, but I'm feeling much better today.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.