Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My I AM Project: I Am Active


I'm starting a new self-esteem exercise here at Chez Roxie. I have found these kinds of projects to be both bolstering and enlightening. The Day Twenty project, Ellen's Hate-Loss Challenge, Dr. Brene Brown's Gifts of Imperfection online workshop and my own February of Love Letters project have each provided me with important take aways as I work towards making peace with myself and those around me.

My I AM project was inspired by my daily affirmations on YouTube. I've created a collection of affirmations that I watch most every day. One of my favorites happened to contain the above poster (available at www.allposters.com) so I will use it as my starting point. I don't know how often this series will make an appearance, but I encourage you to play along to build a portfolio of "attagirls". So here we go:

I Am Active. I am active. Most every day I find a way to be physically active. At 50 I am probably five times more active than I ever was at 30. I don't see myself ever going back to that. I'm not necessarily talking about workouts and sweat - I was just your basic couch potato. I came home and set up camp in the Barcolounger, surrounded by empty wrappers. And while I've been known to succumb to the siren call of an evil baked good or seven, it's no longer my lifestyle. When I was in Seattle recently, I recalled how in a former time, it was a real struggle and NOT FUN to haul my self up and down the hills. A couple of weeks ago, it didn't even phase me. I am now active - physically and socially. I don't know if I've changed or if I've just peeled away enough crap to let this "me" come out. Either way, I'll take it. I am active.

Food has been good. I've planned, prepared and packaged my breakfast, lunch and beverages. When I do those things, it gives me both a boost and some leeway when I enter the witching hours of evening times, which are the most challenging for me. I hit the gym yesterday and plan to do so again today. It feels so GOOD to be back into my office and into my routine!

Tonight Talia is coming into town to go to dinner (Thanks, Groupon) to discuss vacation plans. We just bought our tickets to NS for July.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Create an attagirl portfolio.

-Roxie
142

6 comments:

  1. My "I am active" journal entry reads a lot like yours! It feels so much better this way, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, even three years ago I wouldn't have described myself as active - and yet, today, I would. Love how that is such a common, positive theme with us losers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the real question, isn't it? Have we been hiding the real person away or is this a brand new life we're working on. Whatever it is, I sense a lot of possibility there. Best of luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all these different things you take on to help make yourself a more forgiving, compassionate, loving type person. It's really very inspirational.
    I'm way more active now than ever though I think it's the weight-loss combined with the dog. I blame most of it on the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too! That's a great affirmation, and one I couldn't claim a few years ago, and now, like you, I'm the most active I've ever been, and it feels so good! So good I miss it when I'm held back, even by myself... looking forward to the rest of the project

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I am more active now than 20 years ago too:) Unless you count all that running around after toddlers back then.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.