Monday, March 7, 2011

Open House

The Happy Couple, after submitting a bid on a second house. They are just too cute. I'm going over to have dinner with them on Wednesday to celebrate their recent promotions/raises/house-hunting. They are supposed to hear something today on the latest "most perfect house".

My own house hunting continues. I went to three open houses - two that were more house than I wanted/could afford, but I wanted to see what houses looked like at that price point. There was one house in my desired neighborhood and at my price point, but much like online dating, the in-person meeting left a lot to be desired :-). Again, the more data points that I can put together, the more informed I will be about whatever decision I try to make.

I did attempt to put a dollar value on the convenience of condo living - which meant dredging up some skills from finance classes from grad school long ago. NPV of this, future value of that - left my brain fuzzy. I am pretty confident that I was able to do some best guestimating and projecting. I'll re-affirm part of this with Slater on Wednesday, as this is his actual career. My plan, as it stands today, is to wait to see what spring will do to the houses that are available in my desired neighborhood. I think that by May 1, the majority of places that are coming on the market this season will be there.

Food was good(ish). Bick came into town on Saturday night and we went to dinner. We stopped and picked up some dessert to take home, but didn't eat it that night. I sent the cookies home with him, but he wouldn't take the Ben and Jerry's. I had single serving on Sunday, but conducted an ice cream funeral for the remainder of it. No need to tempt fate. Hit the elliptical for an hour and forty five minutes on Saturday, so that was good. All in all, I'm pleased. It was nice to start Monday with no guilt, no regrets, no remorse over bad choices.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Work your plan.

-Roxie

5 comments:

  1. They are cute for sure.

    We found our house on an open house. It was $49,000 above our price range and Mr. Helen didn't want to go look at it. I insisted, just so we'd have an idea. I left feeling the house was to be ours. It took some time and one failed bid on another house but by then the price had dropped and dropped and dropped and dropped that house right into our laps.

    You just never know.

    P.S. Last week the weekly wisdom at Muay Thai was "Plan your work, work your plan."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice cream funeral - love it. I had an M&M funeral last night, but it was more of a cremation, as they all went into my mouth. No new bags were purchased today, so there's progress on that front.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done, Roxie. I admire your strength in fending off the two giants that Ben and Jerry obviously are. Not sure this gal would have done the same (at least not before digging out all of the chunks first). Glad you had such a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to be able to say "no regrets"...soon. Very soon. They are such a cute couple. Young love. Ain't it grand.

    Sounds like you know what what your doing as far as your house. My daughter just got sad house news today. We are kind of in mourning.

    No regrets is my new mantra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that was a show of strength for sure, chucking the Ben & Jerry's. It wasn't Peanut Butter Cookie Dough by any chance, was it? That stuff is my downfall.

    Those kids are a VERY good looking couple - looking very happy & contented.

    Hang in there with the house. It'll happen when it's ready. Until then, don't squeeze yourself into something that doesn't fit. It'll cause bunions.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.