Monday, April 4, 2011

I Am Brave

* This is a series of posts I'm calling my Attagirl Portfolio. Using this poster (available @ www.allposters.com) as my inspiration, I am creating a series of life-enriching (not empowering, heh!) posts. These are to be hauled out and re-read in case of emergency when the only other option appears to be the liberal application of apple fritters directly to my ass.


I am Brave. Brave. I don't think brave is the absence of fear. I think brave is acting in spite of the fear. This is one that I continue to work on. Fear crops up in so many areas of my life and in my past, has kept me nearly paralyzed. Fear is at the root of many of my unhealthy behaviors. One thing I have found is that if I take the time to inspect what is going on with me and acknowledge that I am feeling fear about something, the Kryptonite-like power it has over me dissipates somewhat. Brave. Something I am not, but it is something I'm actively working on. I have made much progress in recognizing and overcoming fear.

The best laid plans - sigh. Pebbles and Slater came over yesterday to ride bikes and go to museums and have birthday brunch. We headed out on the bikes and got about three and half miles into ride and Slater developed a flat tire. He wasn't carrying a repair/patch kit. So there went the ride. We quickly formulated a plan which involved he and Pebbles (she hated his new mountain bike) walking their bikes back off the trail to try to catch a bus home. In the meantime, I was to haul my behind back home and pick up the car and go SAG.

But the wind - OMG! It was hard to stay on the trail, seriously. I did get some high intensity wind sprints in trying to get home.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. Brunch was awesome and we spent some time looking at houses in a different area, but still offered adequate access to the riding trails. Found two that I wanted to see further and wouldn't you know it, turns out both are under contract.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Find the fear.

-Roxie
144

3 comments:

  1. We have been having wind here that could knock the breath right out of you. My least favorite condition to run or walk in, I think.

    I don't believe bravery is the opposite of fear either, because I believe the actions of bravery require a certain amount of healthy fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this - "I don't think brave is the absence of fear. I think brave is acting in spite of the fear."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your latest post before I read this one...

    You asked for what you needed. It didn't work out exactly as you wanted, but the fact is, asking for it was very brave.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.