Monday, April 25, 2011

I Am Courageous

* This is a series of posts I'm calling my Attagirl Portfolio. Using this poster (available @ www.allposters.com) as my inspiration, I am creating a series of life-enriching (not empowering, heh!) posts. These are to be hauled out and re-read in case of emergency when the only other option appears to be the liberal application of apple fritters directly to my ass.


I Am Courageous. Hmmm. Nothing courageous comes immediately to mind. I've often felt more like the cowardly lion than courageous. I'll have to ponder this one a bit more.

My weekend was nice. I did get to go to some architectural salvage places with Pebbles. We also went to some furniture consignment shops. She bought a vintage chrome dining room outfit. Chairs from one place and the table from another. It's quite nice. I found some vintage rattan side chairs that I want, but I didn't buy them. So I went back to the place on Sunday, only to find them closed. I'll try to give them a call today to get them to hold them for me. I don't know exactly what I am going to do with them, but I'll find someplace for them. If they are still available. I was actually going back to buy two other chairs that I had seen last week and couldn't get out of my head, but they had already sold. Pebbles, being the darling daughter that she is, tells me this is just the outcome of my obvious good taste - that I bring some sort of karma with me into the shops. She says that I should hire myself out as some sort of divining sales diva. Something about me just makes things sell right around me. Anyway, it was fun.

Yesterday, I was up early and decided to go to sunrise service, but at five minutes until start time, no one else was in the parking lot and I didn't want THAT much attention, you know? So I went grocery shopping instead and came back for a later service. My plan had been to attend the early service and then a class on joy that was being offered, so I just went to the class. It was sparsely attended, as well. But I think it will be enjoyable. It's only for four weeks and I will have to miss one of those.

Bike ride on Saturday was cancelled due to wind and potential storms, so I got no real long workouts in, other than a couple of run-of-the-mill trips to the gym. Did some more packing and online decorating blog perusing. I have decided to do a couple of things - I'm going to take an upholstery class in the fall. I've always wanted to do that. And I'm going to buy myself a new sewing machine. Back in the day, I was a pretty awesome seamstress - made my own wedding dress, etc. Maybe it's time to bring that back - not the wedding dress part, but the sewing of home furnishings. I've got some great ideas for some pillows!

This week is going to be a killer - my days are crammed backed with meetings and functions and appointments. I'll do well to keep my head about water. My plan is to try to stay centered and not be swayed by what's going on around me.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. What's the most courageous thing you've done?

-Roxie
138

6 comments:

  1. I envy your ability to sew, Roxie. I've always wanted to learn but never have. Did you ever watch Christopher Lowell back when he was wildly popular? I emulated him and his ability to make anything look fabulous. Your idea for pillows (maybe curtains, too?) made me think of him.
    The most courageous thing I've ever done? Probably my decision to marry for the second time, which I said I'd never do. Trust me, saying "I do" took loads of courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put my full body length picture on my blog - then I looked at it. I can see how people have a distorted body image because I don't think we really have come to terms with our appearance in many cases. I also put a weight loss ticker up. Accountability can be a scary thing don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one of the most courageous people I know. Maybe I should write this post for you. :)

    The most courageous thing I have done was leave my first marriage and move to San Francisco by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to go to a reclamation shop! How cool that must be.

    I think probably doing my first flip house and buying a beat up bank house and doing almost all of the work myself was about the biggest risk I ever took.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love vintage shops! We have a store here called Flashback that has the coolest mid-century(ish) furnishings and accessories. Sadly, my budget can't afford them right now.

    My most courageous action so far was accepting (embracing) a buy-out package from my employer and just *living* for the past few years. I still have to pinch myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I didn't think of it as courageous back then... but when I was 21, I saved up $900 and moved all by myself from CA to OK. I packed up my car, mapped the trip down I-40 and went on my merry way. I got there, got an apt., and a job and lived there for 2 years on my own. No real plan, I just did it.

    Now that I'm 46, that all seems like crazy talk.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.