Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Collinwood-Smythe House


The Collinwood-Smythe House is now legally mine. As soon as I uncramp my hand, I'll be able to feed myself. Closing went very smoothly yesterday. At Pebbles' closing, her realtor gave her and Slater a bottle of champagne and notecards with a picture of their new house on them. My realtor said "I sure hope they get my check deposited today. I don't want to have to come back over here". She continued to be unimpressive. But oh, well. It is done.

And as for the name - well, after watching the royal wedding, it seems everything and everyone is a something dash Smythe. And I have this vision of entertaining in a rather Edwardian fashion. Well, high tea as served by an Appalachian-American. I think the back garden dining table will regularly be set with the silver pieces I bought years ago when I was doing a lot of weddings and have been sitting in a closet at Reata South, tarnishing. It's time to use all the good stuff. No reason to "save it". That one area will be where I really "doily the place up" - and long-time readers may remember how much I love to set a table. My next step is to come up with a go-to menu that continues the theme. Cucumber sandwiches, anyone? Does anyone have a good crumpet recipe? Something easy, as I don't have a lot of time. There's silver to polish.

My "moving crew" consists of Pebbles and Slater. I offered to have it done. She declined. I offered to bring in other people. "I don't want to share" she said. Okay, Sweettart, have it your way. Slater, by the way, has the patience of a saint. Seriously, Pebbles is over-the-moon about this place. She and I are taking Friday afternoon off after I get the keys in order to do some last minute shopping. Actually, there are a couple of pieces at the local "antique" mall that I'd like her opinion on - a dining room table as I don't have one that will fit into the space. And next weekend? I am the third on her moving crew. Again, I offered to chip in on hiring it done as a housewarming gift. Nope, she just wants it to be us.

I am not on any sort of a time frame. I've got The Closet for another month, unfortunately for my wallet and the C-S House is less than two miles away, I think. I have no appliances to move - just a couch and a couple of chairs and a coffee table (bedroom furniture is going back to Dallas) along with about 20 boxes and ten bags, so it should be doable without exhausting anyone.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Get dashed.

-Roxie
146

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations - what a lovely house! I can't wait to see how you make it yours. Looks like there will be a lot of moving this weekend - both my sons will be doing that as well (actually Sam starts today). Exhausting to be sure, but exhilarating to start fresh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I finally make it to Texas, I'll be looking forward to a full high tea, cucumber sandwiches and all! I'm holding you to it.

    Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! and congrats again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very exciting! I remember when we moved into our house (12 years ago!). It was a very fun time.

    I love your daughter, that she doesn't want to share you. Too cute and very loving.

    I can't wait to see how you decorate it. I know it'll be a show place.

    Congratulations! I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! It has adorable curb appeal :D

    Enjoy the move.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you! Enjoy your nest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I love that you have time to do a (relatively) stress-free move :)

    My Realtor gave me a tempered glass cutting board with my name on it. I didn't know that was a tradition, but it does go nicely with the kitchen's color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Can't wait for pictures when you have the house appointed in Edwardian fashion. And surely you pronounce the -Smythe with the long i, dahling, and not the bourgeouis American short sound:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. your house is gorgeous! I'm looking forward to seeing some indoor shots when you get everything sorted out and unpacked.
    It really looks like a house to be happy in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, what a beautiful house it is. I love the lamppost :) Can't wait to see pictures of you having tea on the porch :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratuations!! I'm happy for you, and love the name!! Funny you should mention cucumbers; my new FAV. Too bad I only like them with salt on them though. Have an easy peasy move!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a lovely house, and I hope you will be very happy in it!

    All the streets in my neighborhood are named for Scottish castles. I mentioned this to a friend and told her she should address me as Cammy of Abercorn.Huge mistake, as she told other friends and now half my mail is addressed to Cammy of Abercorn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! I can't wait to see what you and Pebbles do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy for you. You deserve this lovely new nest. You were prepared emotionally and physically ( money ) for this adorable cottage. You made decisons based on your feelings. You thought things through and I could feel your peace in your posts. I watched you grow so much the past few months.

    You my Friend are my HERO! I do not exaggerate. Can't wait to see how you make it your own.

    love and house hugs

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.