Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Gratitudes


I was reading a story in the local paper this morning. As I was reading about a man from the county south of here and his struggle with a rare and debilitating illness, parts of the story began to crystalize. I know this man. I dated this man (briefly) prior to meeting Bick during the whole online dating debacle (Hi Karen! (she and I were having a convo re: words such as debacle and our propensity to use them)) back in the fall of 2005. He was a successful, local (to me at the time) small business owner with a nice life. Now at 50, he has lost it all because of this rare condition he didn't know that he had. Luckily (I hope), he's been accepted into a trial thing, but the costs will still be 150K. And there is no saying that the experimental procedure will even be successful. He really was a nice man - drove and raced muscle cars. Funny thing is, I was just reminded of him a couple of weeks ago. We had gone hiking out at Mineral Wells State Park together once and that's where I ended up on my bike with Talia the other day. It was from that trip with him that I knew how to get to the climbing area. Just shows to go you - live everyday to the max and don't be always wishing for tomorrow, as you never know what it might bring.

Took Cha-Cha out for a spin this morning, just through my neighborhood. Talk about grateful - just pedaling through this area fills me with gratitude. There are some charming arts and crafts bungalows around here, some darling tudors and a few cottage-y places. I like to think of CSH as a cottage, but really it has no cottagey elements, other than the gardens. I am so very fortunate to live in an area that just by being in it makes me happy. Happy and grateful by osmosis. I'll take it. I don't have to own those houses, just being close is enough.

Just got off the phone with Mom. Had a fun, laughing conversation. It's really strange how things work out. I pursued recovery because of my relationship with Bick. And I think that relationship was always supposed to be temporary. The lesson there was to help me work through and heal my relationship with my FOOs. I'm not naive enough to think my work is done, but I am enjoying a lot more peace where that is concerned. And I'll take it and be grateful for it. And I was able to provide some tech support to Mom without losing my patience. That, dear friends, is progress.

Possible fun things on the horizon. Pebbles' college friend, Bailey, has taken a professorship in The Netherlands starting this fall. She will be over there for the first year by herself while her BF finishes up in New Haven. Pebbles and I are talking about making a trip over there either this fall or next spring. Granted, another big trip wasn't on my agenda (or budget), but when there is an offer of a place to stay along with a weekend tour guide, you almost have to figure out a way to do this. Pebbles is working on the "mileage" angle to see if we can score the flights. It's fun to think about, anyway.

Food has been good. Exercise has been good. Living in the moment has been good.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Find something to be grateful for.

-Roxie
142

7 comments:

  1. I love your penultimate paragraph. (How's that for a great word?! My husband used it once and I had no idea what it meant.) Life's been pretty good over my way too, despite my little debacle. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No debacles here, though there have been brief spurts of strife and turmoil. :)

    Looks like life is in an 'evening out' phase for you--definitely worthy of gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roxie, I'm so grateful for your new home. Fills me with joy to see you so happy and settled :)
    Now, about the Netherlands. I was lucky enough to spend 2 weeks touring art museums over there and have 2 suggestions that you really, really need to do when you go: ONE: Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. TWO: Visit Bruges. You will walk away from that place a changed person. The architecture is indescribable and I've never seen anything like it in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to The Netherlands twice and had a wonderful time both visits. It is a beautiful country with beautiful, friendly people. We stayed at the Strandhotel Camperduin, a gorgeous area and drove down to Italy from there.

    My favorite word to use is saboteur though I won't say that I have a propensity for using it, just acting it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following your instructions... I am grateful for so many things at this time, but in this exact moment, I am grateful that I "stumbled" upon your blog waayyyyy back in 2003. Adore!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you can find a way, getting to The Netherlands and Amsterdam is worth the trip. I'll second or third or fourth everyone's motion to get you over there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news about Pebbles' friend coming to The Netherlands! And you already know (well, 'cyber know') someone here. I'd call that serendipity. Definitely come visit. But since you love flowers/gardens, 2nd & 3rd weeks of April are usually best to see the glorious flower fields as well as the Keukenhofat its blooming peak.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.