Monday, June 27, 2011

Riding The Fences


Just got in from riding the fences with Jimmie Dale Gilmore. Actually, I was tidying up a bit in the front yard, as I've deemed it the "front room" for flylady zone purposes. So, 15 minutes of sprucing up, accompanied by the world's talkiest cat. I also went for a nice little ride this morning, concentrating on some hill work. Hill, used with literary license.

Starting the countdown and packing for the trip next week. I'll hire my sister to come in every couple of days to water for me, otherwise I'll return to crispiness. The weather in NS is in the mid-fifties to mid-sixties. I hope layers will work for me. I'd prefer a nice 75, but it may not reach that.

Okay, so did you know that you can turn your coins into iTunes dollars at those coinstar machines at the grocery store? Well, you can. And I've got just enough of a credit for one good audiobook to download to my iPOD for the trip. I don't have an ereader, so audio it must be. Give me your best recommendation for a book that had a big impact on your life. Is there a book you reread for inspiration? I'm looking for something in the spiritual/self-help/motivational genre. What do you think I would most benefit from at this point in my life (and I promise not to take offense :-))? There will be some quite time on this trip and I plan to do some more reflecting, inventory work, reading (or listening) and writing. I welcome your suggestions.


Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Get in the zone.

-Roxie
144

ETA: I've read Bossypants and loved it.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment this morning. Made me feel confident in my decision to move. One book I love is The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav. Don't know if they have it in audio, but it helped me a lot.

    I am happy you get to go to cooler weather. I am loving the cooler weather were I am at.

    I am anxious to see what other people suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roxie, I'm afraid I can't help you in the inspirational audio dept. I have been listening to a lot of books to lighten my mood or take me away to another place. If you find yourself wanting any books like that I highly recommend listening to The Help (reading it and listening to it are two completely different experiences), BossyPants by Tina Fey (wonderfully funny and interesting), or for some sci-fi, The Hunger Games. bwt, you inspired my post for today. Stop by if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you get to leave this inferno for a bit! When you return, can we gather 'round while you tell us stories of having to put on a sweater to go outside??? Sigh. ;)

    I haven't read a self-help book in a while, but I second the Bossypants recommendation. Although it might be better in print, as she includes some pretty awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're interested in meditation at all, Jack Kornfield's "A Path With Heart" is wonderful. If you're looking for great entertainment - Water For Elelphants, Snow Flower and The Secret Fan. And Miss Boosypants is on my list too! Are you going to Nova Scotia? We went about 10 years ago an it was heavenly. I need to look back through your posts to see waddup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know all my reccommendations would be scifi/fantasy so your out of luck there. My fav authors at the moment are Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston. Have a wonderful time girlfriend! Bottle some of that cool weather and bring it home!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No books come to mind...
    Just musicals.
    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I *love* using the coin machine for iTunes! I save up my change all semester, then get a gift card and buy new workout music. Never used it for audio books, though. The best inspirational book I've read lately is Geneen Roth's "Breaking Free from Emotional Eating." I'm still working on it, but it's really helpful for me in my life right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For life changing books, I'd go with "The Joy Diet" by Martha Beck and "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott. The latter is about writing, but very easily applied to life in general.

    I use my Coinstar for amazon credits usually. Maybe I'll switch to itune credits next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My book recommendations would be (although they may not be out in audio book)...

    The Soul of Money: Reclaiming the Wealth of Our Inner Resources by Lynne Twist

    Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live by Martha Beck

    The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level by Gay Hendricks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Roxie, I've been traveling so haven't been very visible in BlogLand, but wanted to say a belated congratulations on the purchase of your house. The pics you have posted looked incredibly charming and I am so glad for you to be settled somewhere after all the time and energy you spent looking. Don't have any book recommendations along the inspirational lines right now. All my reading has been about exploring and hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park. Sharon

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.