Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Time Changes Everything

It truly is funny how time changes everything. And in ways that we probably could not have imagined. Take yesterday, for example, the issue at work turned out to be an issue with the vendor. That possibility never really entered my mind. I'm so used to assuming the defensive position that it could have been something else never crosses my mind. The good news is that I no longer react (mostly) in a defensive way. If I can take a little bit of time and reframe the issue and move myself from my defensive stance into problem solving mode, everyone is happier. More of that perfectionism getting in the way. Except yesterday, it didn't. And everything worked out just fine.

There are other areas where time has changed my perspective a bit. One area is alcohol. While I don't feel I've ever had an issue with alcohol, it felt really hypocritical of me to continue to parktake while Bick was establishing his sobriety. So for well over a year, I didn't drink. I can't say that it was difficult for me to give it up, but it did require some vigilance, as alcohol certainly is pervasive in most social settings. So when the GNO group was to gather at the house, one of the girls asked me in advance if I would share her wine with her. I said I'd think about it. And I did and I decided to have some wine. I did that night and at another social event a couple of days later. And it turns out that I don't like being "dimmed" even a little. I may make different decisions later, but for now, I'm again choosing to abstain.

Another area where time and growth (I hope) have changed things is with entertaining. The Garden Party (about 20 guests) are coming over after work tonight. And I slept well last night. I'm not panicking or worrying. It will be what it will be. I'm serving all pick-up stuff (see the Buy Versus Build post) and I'm completely okay with it. Everything doesn't have to be special. Nothing needs to be over-the-top. It's about the people and the activity. If I make something else out of it, that's just me trolling for affirmation. Sometimes I don't even know who I am anymore :-)

Missed the noontime yoga class due to work issues, but I did manage to ellipticalize in the afternoon. Today will be a noon workout and perhaps a late evening walk after the guests leave. I'll see how I do.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Take a look in the rearview.

-Roxie

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have set yourself up for having a wonderful time tonight, which I hope both you and your guests do! :)

    P.S. "don't drown" keeps making me giggle this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is your first party of sorts, isn't it? Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true about time. It does change everything. Some things better, some things not so much, and some things I don't even care about anymore.

    A fact I need to remember. A week ago I felt my life was a tragedy. Today, not so much. Not perfect, but better. Tomorrow, probably even better.

    Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dim - a thing of the past - for now!
    Another good post, Roxie!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.