Monday, July 11, 2011

Halifax, Nova Scotia



So I did the sidecar tour and it was fabulous! The weather was grand and the guide, Vickie, was very knowledgeable about both the city and the machinery! I felt very safe. And the deal with the sidecar is that they make everyone happy. I had more people wave at me - it was just grand. I am so glad that I did it. It was a 2.5 hour private, interactive tour and history lesson and I loved every second of it. My boss always recommends a hop-0n-hop-off tour as a first stop in a new city to get the lay of the land, so to speak. This introduction served me well. Vickie is a radio newscaster for 24 syndicated radio stations and this is her new side business. I got background and history and the opportunity to ask questions - I can't imagine a more thorough
indoctrination.



The rest of the day included walks through the Public Gardens, up the Citadel, down to the harbor and through the maritime museum. I know I had fresh strawberries from the farmer's market for lunch, but I do not remember what I had for dinner, nor where we ate that night. Oh, yea, it was someplace down at the wharfside. First night dinner was fish and chips at a pub after our late arrival into Halifax.



The dorm experience proved interesting. I didn't expect the dorms to be quite so "retro", but they were clean, functional, quiet and well-located. Oh, and did I mention cheap? So two nights of that - with the bath down the hall :-)

So that's basically arrival and my one full day in Halifax. Oh, and the Queen Mary 2 was in dock, so there were cruise people swarming the harbor. And it's McLobster time!

Next Stop: Great Village. And the poet's house.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. 2.5 hours! That's a great tour. Between your visit to Canada and The Royal Couple's visit, there must have been a lot of waving going on :)

    Sounds like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. McLobster is perfect for that McDonalds!

    What a great tour. Glad you treated yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. McLobster. I love it!

    The sidecar looks like a really fun experience. Probably the only way I'd get on a motorcycle.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.