Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Joy For Beginners


The jet ski trip did not work out. The company inexplicably cancelled my reservation and failed to return numerous texts, emails and phone calls. I finally heard from someone late yesterday afternoon with a promise that the manager would call me last night. No call came. So while I was disappointed, I had to look at it as just not in the cards for me, for whatever reason. So I was given a day to do with exactly as I pleased.

The trouble is, I sometimes have trouble knowing "exactly as I please". I thought of a hundred different things to do, places to go and couldn't decide. The question that I finally asked myself is (shamefully) this "What would I want to do if I wasn't worried about telling people what I did?" Phrased another way, "Which is more important to me - what I did or what I get to tell people I did?" How's that for deflating the big head?

Turns out, what I really wanted to do was to have some water and some sun - so I donned a make-shift bikini in my very, very private backyard and I played in the sprinklers. I gardened under the sprinklers. I sat up my CVS-special lounge chair and I read between forays into the water. I read Joy For Beginners, which was a fast, easy and earthy read. It certainly fit my frame of mind. I got quite a bit of weeding and trimming done and got kissed by the sun in the process.

After Waterworld, I got cleaned up and headed over to the Kimbell to see the most recent exhibit before it closed. As usual, I enjoyed the permanent collection and the space itself more than the traveling exhibition. Still, it was a lovely way to spend the afternoon.

After that, I did a bit more shopping. I bought a new pair of shoes - I'd noticed that my black strappy wedge sandals had given up the ghost. I wore them a lot and with some linen bits, they had gotten worn and very dirty. I didn't actually pick them out - Pebbles bought them for herself, oh, five years ago, I suspect - and for whatever reason, convinced me to buy them off of her. I couldn't find an exact replacement, obviously, but I did find this year's Kenneth Cole (or it was DSW, so perhaps last year's) black strappy wedge sandal for about half the price I paid Pebbles for these, so I'm happy. I also need a replacement for the most comfortable heels in the world that are worn beyond repair - a pair of Hush Puppies (I know, but they look good - but alas, no replacement for them as of yet - they are a dull pewter color, which makes a lovely neutral. The new neutral on all the shelves appears to be a puece-y beige in patent leather. Yuckaroo. Oh well, some replacements will show up.

Tonight is GNO at a new place that opened up. We are celebrating a retirement and a birthday. I hope the new place is decent - this was my month to choose the venue.

Food and exercise was good yesterday, although I did have to have nuts for dinner! I stopped into a place that sells all sorts of Texas-centric food stuffs to get some munchies to smuggle into the bar tonight, and I fell for some nuts. It was witching hour and I was too hungry and I ate too many of them, so that just had to be my dinner. About 8 o'clock, I was cursing the decision to even stop at the store! Ah, well.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Roll with it.

-Roxie

7 comments:

  1. And nuts for dinner. Ye olde standby!
    Maybe that's why they call them "Nuts!"
    Gotta luv that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you made your back yard over into Waterworld! Just a lovely, lovely day off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gardening under the sprinklers. I love it. What a way to get what you REALLY wanted: sunshine and water. You've got a great attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even without the jet ski adventure, it sounds like you had a very nice day off...and hey, any day that includes finding a pair of shoes is aces in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book sounds right up my alley. Hoping to get at the library. Have a good GNO - they are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been having a nutty time myself. I have been on a cashew kick. The scales are telling me to cool it.

    Love that you played in the sprinklers in your own backyard. I am going to have to check out the book.

    Gonna try to roll with it myself today! New mantra!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh nuts and losing myself in a great book is INDEED my definition of a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.