Sunday, August 21, 2011

On Thin Ice



All limbs accounted for. Nothing broken or severely bent. Yep, I survived my ice skating adventure last night. I cannot begin to recall the last time I was on ice skates. There were no twirly-twirls last night, no Hamill Camels or Katerina Witt-style foot-in-hand moves, but I didn't fall, so there is that. It was a fun time and much more "athletic" than I remembered. I wasn't skating with much speed at all, but after about 45 minutes, I was done. Decided to quit while I was still intact.

Did a morning bike ride on the rails-to-trails with Talia yesterday. I would have like to have gone further, but she didn't have the time, so a short hour or so ride was all we could fit in. Still, it was great to be riding in the shade. I do love that trail.

I also took myself out to dinner last night before the ice skating outing. I had a Groupon that I needed to use. It wasn't a table-cloth restaurant - it was a BBQ place, but they still had tables and no seating at the bar. So, I just walked up and asked a couple of people sitting at a large table if I could poach with them. Turns out, it was the owner of the place and we had a nice conversation. While I've dined alone, I'd never really asked if I could join people. But the table was big and so I did it. Worked out to be a pleasant meal.

As for today, I haven't decided what exercise I will get. I've probably missed my bike riding window - plus I'm a little sore from ice skating last night. I'm thinking this morning will just be a meditative walk through the public gardens. I also want to time my walk to the nearest bus stop, in case I want to take the bus to work again. It's not nearly as convenient as it was when I lived in The Closet, but it is still doable.

I'm having lunch with Valerie - haven't seen her much this summer. It will be good to see her and catch up, plus she got a new puppy. Yeah for puppy breath!

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Try new things.

-Roxie
143.5

5 comments:

  1. I loved that youtube "alone" video the 1st time around. I watched it again.

    I smiled when you put on facebook that you were going ice skating yesterday. Good for you. It's hard on the ankles.

    Loved that you just walked up and asked to join the meal. Again, you are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rails to trails. I live in Missouri and ride on the MKT (Missouri Kansas Texas) trail all the time. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, THAT would be a huge challenge for me, asking to sit at a table with other people. Well done, Roxie!! You are becoming quite the natural, I have to say. Opportunities are yours for the taking!
    By the way, you - YOU are the one who got me hooked on Groupon. Now, I am in love and there is no turning back. I'm totally addicted. And saving money - Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Germany, people sit with people all the time.
    People they don't know.... Yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep yep yep Im now addicted to groupon too! :)

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.