Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Out Of The Dark Ages


My new phone. I just picked it up last night. Everyone who knows me, knows that I am not an always-has-to-have-the-latest-gadget. In fact, I'm rather gadget-avoidant. I'm sure there is a DSM-IV code just for me. However, I'm working on a new development project at work - porting some of our web aps to mobile devices, so it was time for a smartphone (plus work is buying it for me). That part is nice, but the bigger monthly bill is all mine.

I'd seriously considered getting an iPhone, as Pebbles and Slater are both members of that cult. However, there is still a custody issue over my phone number, even though I've had it for ten plus years - Spr1nt considers it my ex-husbands' (who did have to have the latest and greatest, which is why I have this phone contract in the first place and goes a long way in explaining why he is an ex- something new came out and he wanted it "Here Honey, why don't you just take my phone. You are home alone and on the road by yourself so much." ) phone and in order for me to change providers and keep my phone number, he would need to show up in person and relinquish custody. Which he would totally do, but I needed to move fast on this - so I just stayed with Spr1nt's best (hopefully) a new Photon 4G. It has many bells and whistles and I hope that they don't go off accidently.

Sleep has been not good recently - which has a great deal to do with my metabolism gearing up, I think. When I'm eating on program, my sleep goes down to five hours. When I'm loading up with carbs? Sleep like a baby. I am going to try the "cool pillow" deal. Some recent research has shown that insomniacs received an amazing amount of relief when they slept in a "cooling" helmet - something that kept their heads cooler. I ain't got nothing in my fridge 'cept Diet Coke anyway, I think there's room for a small pillow. I'm sure if that is ever discovered, there will be a DSM-IV code for that, too!

Food has been good. Exercise has been good. I'm now sitting at a threshold weight. It will be interesting to see if I self-sabotage my way out of this one - which I've done for several months when I start to see the 140's in my rearview.

The plan is some exercise this morning, as meetings at work won't allow for a lunchtime gym trip. I've got my eggs a-boiling for some egg salad for lunch and I don't have a clue as to what dinner will bring.

Tonight's exciting plans include watching the final Netflix episode of Doc Martin. And then it will be up to me to pick the next series to watch. I don't even remember the last time I actually watched anything "on" TV - when the set comes on, it's either to stream Netflix or Pandora. Oh, and I think my phone will "project" onto my TV - Craziness!

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Be Au Courant.

-Roxie
141

4 comments:

  1. My damn smartphone is way smarter then me. I have never heard of Doc Martin. On my way to google it and see what it's all about.

    Come on 130's. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so funny! Welcome to 2011. Well at least we'll welcome your phone to 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been playing with my husband's and son's phones lately, trying to see if I can figure out how to use them. Mine is not gadgety and is 2 years old and I am afraid when it suddenly dies I will struggle with options for a new one. Technology and me... meh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the smart phone crowd. I've recently switched from Crackberry to the droid worlds. Ever see that Star Trek Next Generation episode where the whole crew gets sucked into playing some weird headset based video game? It's a lot like that if you;re not careful.

    Recently tried acupuncture for sleep improvement. It worked pretty well for about two weeks. Needs to be redone a few times before it takes permanently I hear. Might be worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.