Sunday, October 23, 2011

Auf Wiedersehen

I’ve been on hiatus - or more accurately, on sabbatical from Gravel and Rust - a working/renewal time. I spent a good amount of time thinking about this blog and what it has meant to me over the past ten years - both good and bad.

I have a series of core beliefs - one of which is that the way people behave, the things they do, are done basically in an attempt to get their needs met. That as humans, we each have a set of needs - for food, shelter and human contact - intimacy, if you will.

Another of my beliefs is that what we focus on grows - if I devote time, energy and effort to something it will grow. Over the years, I’ve spent countless hours blogging on a nearly daily bsis - both in writing mine and reading others. The question becomes: does continuing serve my best interests? Would continuing to invest in this blog make me happier and propel me further down my path?

The idea that blogging may no longer be the best way to meet my needs came from a German univeristy.

A few months ago, I was asked to participate in a research study of bloggers. Of course, I was skeptical, but this one checked out as being legitimate. As I was filling out the questionnaire, I became upset, as I felt the researchers had been less than forthright about what they set out to prove in their research. At some point I stopped answering the questions, as I was highly offended by the nature of the questions. To paraphrase, they were asking leading questions to gather a psychological profile of bloggers as people with few friends, socially awkward (my paraphrase) who used the internet rather than have actual human interactions.

But it did get me to thinking. Did I fit that category? How well rounded an individual am/was I? Did I fit that blogger profile? What was driving my need to blog? What need was I meeting by blogging? For me, it was a combination of things - external affirmation and a need for intimacy, to find and connect with like-minded people - something I seemed to think impossible for me in my real life.

The time has come for me to leave this behind. To concentrate on my 3D life - cultivating friendships and creating real intimacy . I’ve substituted the keyboard for skin far too long. In my year of living authentically, it’s time to move completely into the real world.

I appreciate and thank each one of you for all you have given me.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Act in your own best interest, always.

Wishing you all love, peace and prosperity,

Roxie

29 comments:

  1. Saddest news I've heard in a long, long time, Roxie. I'll miss reading your insightful and thought-provoking posts, but I wish you great happiness as you explore new things. I hope you'll keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will miss this Roxie, but cheers a wonderful world beyond the keyboard.

    Live joyfully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can honestly testify that for myself and several bloggers I know in real life, none of us fit the socially awkward profile nor do we live our lives 'virtually'. But I respect your decision (even if I wish it were otherwise). I'll miss your strongly intuitive insights on a whole range of issues. Thank you, good luck, and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what cammy said. I adore your writing voice and think youre truly talented.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll miss reading your thoughts, Roxie. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll miss you, Roxie, but you have to do what works for you, and obviously blogging no longer cut it. Enjoy life, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thinking is that we should blog if we get something from it, whatever that something might be for each of us. Best to you, Roxie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Count me in as one of those who will miss you as well. Your views and creative way of putting words together have enriched my life for the past couple of years.

    Also count me in as one, who if she ever gets to Texas, will still try to meet you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, will miss your writing, Roxie. We need to meet up in real life. I'll keep an eye open for you at bike races if you're there supporting Slater (and Pebbles) - Or I'll just wave madly at anyone who looks like you and Cha-Cha out on the trails. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were one of my main inspirations when I first started blogging. I always looked forward to a new post from you. I've thought of you often since you began your break, and have wondered how you are.

    I'd love it if you would just keep us posted once in a while as to how things are going. But if not...well, I'm so grateful we actually got to meet. Take care, Roxie.

    Your friend, Grace

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will miss you Roxie, but I understand your desire to move forward. I will miss your witty way with the written word. You are a very bright, talented woman!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a prime example of just how intricately weaved these types of relationships are. There are plenty of other blogs to read, and new ones appearing on the radar every day. But you won't be among them; nor your compassion, your wit, your wisdom, your words. You will be greatly and deeply missed. You've become a friend and I will always think fondly of you, Roxie. I do hope you drop back in on us every once in a while. Much love to you, and all the happiness in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My sentiments are the same as the others. I wish you all the luck and love the world has to offer you and I appreciate your insight, support and wit and you will be sorely missed. Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Roxie -

    I'll miss your blog. It was always thought provoking.

    say, why not write a book !!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep...I echo everyone else, but also totally understand!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to chime in with everyone else. You will be missed, but I think everyone understands why you need to go.
    Thank you for writing a farewell post! I always worry when people stop posting; you never know if they got run over by a bus or something.
    Take care, go in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for lots of inspiration over the last couple of years. I appreciated your voice and experience. Keep your stick on the ice, and best to you always.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You were such a great teacher Roxie, and your honesty and authenticity left a mark on me and touched me deeply. I wish I knew you in real life! You have inspired me to start my own blog, and become this ancient cynic- start questioning my motivation. You gave me a desire to face my own demons.
    My very best wishes to you may virtual friend :) I will miss you.
    Marta

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck Roxie, I will miss you too. Something I've come to find is that the friends I've made here are as valuable to me if not more than the folks in the 3D world. I too respect your decision but hope maybe at some point you will come back to us :) Not to often we find someone like you in blog world, tough to lose you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are a wise one, Miss Roxie!
    And I've felt enriched and nourished
    by your comments and support...
    And your insightful blog posts.
    Thanks for all that!
    Maybe we can still meet for coffee--
    In real life!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I echo everyone else. I wish you well and keep the door open to welcome you back. I think I got the same survey of questions and had the same impression ( and promptly stopped filling it out).

    Peace be with you. Thank you for all your wisdom and kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You'll be missed. It has been my pleasure reading and sharing thoughts with you over the years. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

    Be well, stay true.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll miss you and wish you well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Best wishes! We'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I realize I'm a little behind on posting my comment, but although I'm very new in my journey of bloggerville, I appreciated your posts. I would have to agree, I don't fit any of those sterotypes of a blogger. It's just a different way to help me express and explore who I am as I walk this new journey.

    Thank you for your inspiration and warmest wishes for a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I miss your blog roxie. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh My Gosh! I don't know if you'll ever read this but I just horrified to read this post.

    I've been out of the loop on blogging myself. Lots of life trauma got in my way. Now that things have settled down a bit I just can't seem to get back into it.

    I hope you're having a good life, and living the life you want. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So what about an author? Are they too out of touch in the 3D world? Or someone who makes movies? Or takes photos?

    I will miss most the little things at the end of each of your posts. But i get why you need to go.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.