Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Rough Re-entry



Well, that was rough. Tensions ratcheted right back to the levels they were before the break. There is a situation with a woman at work, not in my office, but works with me, that is coming to a head. In the past, I've been involved, inappropriately, I might add. But several months ago, I mad the decision to step out of it and the fall-out hasn't been pretty.

I've always had this motto "I/we can make this work". I would twist and turn myself into little knots trying to make everyone comfortable in all situations. I've done this for a life time - hand me your lemons and I'll hand you back the business plan for a lemonade franchise. Except that a couple of bad things happen in the process - the other person in the deal doesn't get to experience the opportunities for growth and I completely lose sight of what I want - I just think "I'll figure this out" or "I'll make this work". No more. What's yours is yours. The positives I gained, and there were some, don't outweigh the long-term negatives.

I do so hate it when things go uncomfortably at work, as work has always been such a place of peace for me. But things and people change and I can remove myself from the fray, do my job and let others do theirs.

It's back to the hairdresser again. Let's hope it isn't weird this time. If it is, well, the hunt is on for someone new.

Phone-A-Friend Challenge: 2

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Breathe deeply and let it go.

-Roxie

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not having to deal with other people's work crap has been a perk of all this time off. Probably the only perk. Things do work themselves out. It is really hard when things are rough at work. You have to be there.

    Hope today is much better. Good luck at the hair dresser. That post made laugh. It could only happen to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you stay calm and carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate workplace drama as much as I hate drama between me and Mr. Helen. I hope today is better for you.

    And hairdresser drama? May be worse than both of the above. Good luck with that too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, how I hate playing doctor ALL THE DAMN TIME! (having to fix everything)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The workplace is often full of drama. We spend so much time there, so in reality, it's a big part of our lives. Sometimes navigating the drama is a real trick. Glad you are taking a different tact. Going to the hairdresser is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're going to get! At least that's often true for me. You have great hair--that's one of the first things I noticed about your photo. Hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh. When work doesn't flow it can definitely makes things sticky. It's hard to accept changes like that. I hope it's all temporary.
    I knew exactly which 'weird' post you were referring to. Here's hoping for a peaceful, relaxing eve at the hairdressers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy, can I relate to how you try to make everyone comfortable. That seems to be my MO, and as a result, I often make myself uncomfortable. "Why am I the one who has to make accommodations all the time" while the other person goes along blithely unaware of the misery she has inflicted??? (Rhetorical question.)

    Thanks for another interesting and thought provoking post. I am so glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can so relate to the work thing. And I am just like you, always taking things on just to keep peace. We are having drama again right now, but I'm learning to let go!

    Hope the hair dresser was a good to you :)

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.