Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wood Objects

According to Wikipedia, that's the gift for 6th anniversaries. So in honor of my sixth, I'll repost my 5th.


Yesterday marked my five year quit-aversary. After smoking for thirty years, I finally and for good, kicked the habit. I'd quit before, sometimes for as long as two years, but really I hadn't quit - I just wasn't smoking at the time. This time, I've quit. I'm done. I'm through. I cannot foresee a situation that would ever draw me back in. The desire is gone. Well, occasionally it will drift back - but it's easy to say "I'm not a smoker" and the thought drifts off as quickly as it came.

I will admit that quitting was one of the most difficult things that I've ever done. Mine was an emotional addiction, to be sure, and it was powerful. Quitting left me in a puddle and it was exercise that really pulled me through it. I started running a month or so before I quit and it was running that kept me out of the pack long enough for the quit to stick. I had already taken up healthful eating habits (I'd lost about 75 pounds about seven years before) and had started working out a bit, so smoking was no longer in line with how I lived my life. It no longer made sense to me and for me.

And for those of you who have never smoked, good for you. For those of you that have and have quit, you know what this is. A thirty year, pack-a-day habit. Yet another one of my dubious achievements - dropping around 120 pounds, climbing out of a mountain of debt, and smoking for thirty years and then quitting. I go big or go home! I'm never one to nip anything in the bud! I wait until it's a challenge!

End of 2011 post.

I can't believe I let the date slip by me. I guess it really is a part of the past, thankfully.


Phone-A-Friend Challenge: 1

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. If you smoke, please stop.

-Roxie
144

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations for kicking the habit! I quit myself when I was in my mid 20s, and then restarted during the last year of my drinking. It was just another area to be out of control in all realms. I will say that it may have helped me navigate AA in my earliest days, but I gave it up when I had about 9 months sober. Thanks Goodness!

    Your lifeline boasts many remarkable accomplishments, and this is yet another. Thanks for sharing it with us. And good for you phoning that friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You've definitely overcome some big addictions Roxie. Be very proud.

    Quitting was the best thing I ever did. I'm coming up on my 20 year mark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I started when I was 12 and smoked for almost 40 years when I finally quit 6 years ago. My anniversary was August 10. Funny, I forget many dates but that one stays stuck in my brain. I'm so enjoying your blog again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go, Quitter! We are almost quitting twins!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! Wow you have made some monumental changes in your life, and it speaks to your strength of character. Be proud of what you have accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I think it may speak to my addictive behavior that I've had so many things to overcome :-) but thank you!

      Delete
  5. Quitting smoking is harder than anyone who has not done it can imagine; it messed with my head for about a year. My husband recently quit and he went through a similar nasty year of emotional swings, sometimes irrationality and so one-- it makes you wonder if the chemicals in cigarettes (nicotine is only one of many)interfere with the chemical processes in the brain. I smoked for 20 years, he for 40 and I would have to say the longer you smoke the worse it gets (anecdotal evidence).

    Well done. In March it will be 9 years for me.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo Hoo! Great job, Barb - especially since you quit and your spouse didn't! And congratulations to your husband for being a quitter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your quit Roxie. I agree that quitting was one of the most difficult things I ever tackled - but also the most rewarding. Coming up on 7.5 years here, never felt better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that is awesome! My Dad has smoked just about his whole life. He has tried many times to quite. He says it's an emotional thing as well as he smokes cigs that are basically nothing. I keep him in my prayers, but he say he has no desire to stop.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.