Saturday, February 4, 2012

Dance Lessons


Guess who is taking swing lessons, starting Tuesday? What a blast! I only got to dance once, as everyone is pretty coupled up and takes this whole dancing thing seriously. I got asked more than once, but only one brave young man offered to teach me the basics - so we danced a couple of dances and ended with a surprise dip! Boy, did that bring back some "fat" memories - as I figured out what was happening, the first thought running through my head was "there is no way in hell that junior here can hold me up". Obviously, there is some technique to this and obviously Junior knew what he was doing.

On the first Friday of the month, this wonderful facility brings in a big band, and I do mean a big band. Wow - just listening to them was an evening unto itself - and to watch the dancers of all ages. It was enchanting! There were six of us that actually showed up and we decided to return on Tuesday for some lessons. Should be fun!

I need to get a move on - today is Saturday, and it's a bit busier than usual with Brunch-prep going on - although since it's potluck, I'm only making a couple of dishes. I am, however, getting a bit concerned about the seating, as it appears this thing may have grown. And this is always the danger - I will have a plan and right at the last minute, decide that it's not enough and I will do more and I am wrong. Completely wrong. I just have to keep this whole deal right-sized - for my health and wallet's sake. I do NOT want to end up with a bunch of leftovers. It's not like this is being held in the Antarctic. There is a grocery store a short way a away. Repeat after me - I will not over plan.

I've been on the phone a bunch, but it's more about brunch than the challenge, so the count will resume on Monday.

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Find a way to have fun.

-Roxie

6 comments:

  1. How funny. I just commented on the post just prior to this, like 2 mins ago. I just so envy you. Swing lesson. Inprov lesson. I wish we lived closer, I'd have a buddy to do things fun things with....not that I need one, as you are proving, but it would make it lots of fun.

    I hope it doesn't rain. Shelly posted some pics on FB and it looked like she needed an ark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Dana,

      I, too, wish we lived closer - but you are exactly right - you don't need a buddy - I'm finding these classes are providing me with a lot more than fun. I'm learning a lot of stuff about myself and I am getting to practice some new skills.

      Delete
  2. Have a great time dancing and know the brunch will be fun. I always worry more than I need to when I'm having people over and everything always works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence! It did turn out nice and I didn't overdo TOO much. I'm learning!

      Delete
  3. Mr. Helen and I took swing dance lessons years ago through our city's adult enrichment program. We still remember and use the basics when we're out cutting a rug. Swing dance is fun and I'm glad you're going to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were here to give me some private lessons. I think I need remedial work!

      Delete

We'll try this for a while.