Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mistaken Identity


Yesterday was a good day. Day 1: Critical self-care goal accomplished! Did not dip into the 6 bags of candy that I have in my car. I'm going to get rid of that today. I was asked to volunteer to help provide candy for the hospitality suite for a local non-profit conference this weekend and the coordinator never got back to me on the pickup - even after me calling her. So while it has been calling my name, it didn't win. At least not yesterday. I will be taking it to the public candy bowl at work TODAY, as I have to drop off a cake for a celebration tomorrow. Another opportunity for restraint :-).

The dinner party last night was interesting. Turns out, I only knew the host. I recognized several of the other people there, but only by sight - I didn't know them. They were all quite nice, but it wasn't what I was expecting. My friend who knows the host better than I do was also invited, but had other obligations. I could have stayed home, I suppose, but that would go against my goal of being more social. I do (think I) know that I was invited only because I was standing with my friend when the host invited her - but I decided to let the host be responsible for inviting me and go! I know that doesn't make much sense - it's just a bit of me giving up trying to read other people's mind and motives. I got a personal invitation and a follow up phone call, so I went. Period.

It was nice - and I got the opportunity to see Midnight in Paris yet again. It was just as delightful the second time around. I did make the decision to leave soon after the movie and made what I hope were the appropriate good-byes. I really need to take an etiquette course, as I was taught nothing growing up. I'm sure I commit social blunders all over the place. Anyway, I did my best and I came home.

At home, I was doing my best to quell my tendency to second guess everything that I said and had done - so I decided a nice cup of decaf would divert my attention. I had just purchased the fully leaded and unleaded version of Slater's fancy-pants coffee, so I brewed up a pot. And enjoyed it. And realized it was the fully-leaded variety. Sigh.

So, not much sleep for me last night. I got up about 3:30 am and piddle around for an hour or so and then went back to bed for a while. I'm feeling okay now, but trying to talk myself OUT of going to meditation. It remains to be seen how that turns out.

PAF: 1

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Get the lead out.

-Roxie

3 comments:

  1. you are brave..feel good about this, no matter what. You are the only other person "I know" that saw "Midnight in Paris". It was a little Valentine of nostalgia. I'm curious ..what brand coffee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PJ,

      The coffee is from Central Market - Chocolate Caramel Truffle, I believe. It comes in bulk and I grind a week's worth in the store. I have a grinder, but I'm too lazy to use it. :-)

      I absolutely adore MIP. I saw it for the first time with my daughter. She was studying abroad and she and I met in Paris and it was my first trip abroad. I have such amazing memories of Paris and that trip. It was a life changing event for me. I would love to go back.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you did great. Forget the second guessing, you were there and enjoyed the movie. It's a favorite of mine, too, as is Paris. I am overdue for a trip there. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.