Friday, February 10, 2012

Self-Care: The Journal


I keep a written journal. Each day, I begin my entry with what I call my 411 - four things for which I am grateful, one personal challenge/behavior that I am working on improving and the one most important thing that I need to get accomplished in the day.

Right now, I am concentrating on listening more and talking less, on asking questions, not interrupting and focus on being interested and not interesting. And I give myself a sticker if I've been particulary successful. If I've been particular successful in providing myself with exceptional self-care, I get a big, sparkly sticker :-) It is amazing how great it feels to be able to add my stickers to my journal each day. And for those days where I don't hit the mark, well, there's no recrimination about that.

Made four spin classes this week. Woo to the Hoo!

Phone-A-Friend: 2

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Find a way to reward yourself.

-Roxie

pic from elum designs.


13 comments:

  1. I like your 411 format. It seems more constructive than just putting random thoughts down on paper. The listening more and talking less--I could work on that! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I have to have some structure - especially if I want to keep mindful of the things that I, well, want to be mindful of. I need constant reminders - my brain is like Teflon!

      Delete
  2. I've always loved to journal, but it has been interesting to me over the years how my journalying "style" has changed or shifted, as I grow. I'm currently in a very unorganized journal(s) style right now... which drives me crazy, but it's what I have the energy to do right now where I'm at, and it's ok.

    I love the 411 format! I'm drawn to that idea... perhaps something like that will help keep me a little more organized in my journal(s). Plus, I LOVEEEEE stickers! Great idea. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got inspired to do an "illustrated" journal by reading some works by SARK.

      Delete
  3. I used to journal all the time and haven't for a couple years. It's very therapeutic. Love your 411 and sticker system...me love stickers! Maybe a coloring book with fancy markers would be a good reward too! Seriously - I used to color with my kids when they were little. I guess it soothed my inner child. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had coloring books (mandalas) and markers in my Amazon Wish list forever - just hadn't got around to pulling the trigger.

      Delete
  4. I would love to add a big, sparkly sticker to your journal for the time you spend blogging. Reading your blog really gives me many "aha" moments. I love your goal of working on being interested instead of being interesting. I need to work on that as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, what a lovely thing to say. Big sparkly sticker right back at ya!

      Delete
  5. I would like to second Kim's words. You have been a huge inspiration to me. On many occasions I followed your steps, and life is so much better these days. Thanks Roxie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Robin,

      I think this is the first time I've seen you around these parts - and what a lovely way to get acquainted. Thank you so much for your kind comments. You gave me a great start in making it a good day. May all your days be good, as well.

      Delete
    2. Big smile Roxie here :) And I got a great start to the day with swimming in the snow. (The swimming pool has been heated though :)I will be shopping for a green journal this weekend. And stickers too. Virtually loving you. :)

      Delete
  6. I've stopped and started too many written journals to remember. Yet I can blog like crazy. It's a mystery to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Helen, me too. It just seems to have "stuck" over the last couple of years.

      Delete

We'll try this for a while.