Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Two Left Feet


First, the bad news - I have two left feet. This is not news to me. I also have very little dance experience, so my swing dance lesson didn't propel me very far. I need to master the basic step before moving on to anything else. So, I'll practice at home this week, because I am totally going back. Secondly, it was great fun and there is a lot for me to learn there.

More on yesterday's spin class. Most of the spin classes I've taken were from either fitness instructors or casual cyclists. Yesterday's instructor was a racer. A serious competitive racer. Man.Oh.Man. It was a workout and I was not coming close to going all out. We pretended like we were doing the short but steep mountain course in the Tour de France. It was a serious workout. I went at probably 80 percent and that was enough to keep me hurting the rest of the day. I'm declaring Wednesday a rest day - which is good, as there no early morning spin classes anyway.

Phone A Friend Challenge: 1

Take good care of yourself. Be kind to others. Get a teacher with experience.

-Roxie

10 comments:

  1. DANCING Through Life -
    That's how I've always seen you, Roxie!
    Enjoy your rest day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Anne,

      Have a wonderful Wednesday yourself!

      Delete
  2. Love the 19 disc Video Dance Training graphic! It would likely take more that 19 discs to set me right, but I love to dance nonetheless. Great advice on getting a good teacher - thank goodness we can keep learning as long as we're breathing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie,

      I am not for sure that the 19 DISCS would do it for me, either. I am seriously going to consider some private lessons - just a few to help me get the basics down.

      Delete
  3. You are so going to love that dance once you get the Swing of it (ha!). Here's a tip that we used: as we were practicing Mr. Helen noted that the rhythm of the basic step was "Hippity-Hop, Hippity-Hop" and he was right! To this day when he grabs me for a swing around the floor my brain says, "Hippity-Hop" for the first few steps :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - I think I need a swing dance metronome! This girl aint got no rhythm.

      Delete
  4. Feeling for you on the spin class. Finally got my own misbehaving self back to classes and I am shamed to admit that an instructor I thought did moderate classes thoroughly kicked me in the caboose. Lesson? Don't stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brian - truer words were never spoken. What's that quote from Bull Durham "You gotta respect the streak"? It seems so much harder to re-start than it did to start in the first place.

      Delete
  5. Spin classes are intense! I use to work with a guy that taught the spin class during lunch at the near by gym. Wow, he would kick your butt! Dance lessons would be fun....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never have done spin classes. Now I am scared to try it :) I have two lefties myself. It reminds me of the movie Best in Show. Now I am really laughing. Thanks, I needed the laugh!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.