Monday, March 12, 2012

A Day Well-Lived

Channeling my inner Stevie Nicks

What a fabulous Sunday!  DST agrees with me - I don't get up QUITE so early.  I spent my early hours filing paperwork and pulling together information for my taxes.  CPA appointment coming up soon.

A bit before nine am and I had washed clothes, mopped floors and generally put my house in order.  I decided it was time to throw an impromptu brunch - so I called my Mom, Sis and Valerie and asked them to be here at 11:30 and I headed off to the store to pick up a few things.

If you are even thinking about starting to entertain more, the brunch is the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to go - if you keep it simple.  This was a girl-only deal, so I didn't feel the need to serve any sort of breakfast meat.  I prepared my "confetti" crustless quiche, sliced watermelon, artisan bread from Central Market, my homemade "schmear" of cream cheese, cinnamon and a little sweetener.  Plus coffee.  My bill at the grocery store was 15 dollars and some change - with 7 dollars plus being for the coffee alone.  And I didn't even make my own "confetti" - I just bought pico de gallo from the condiment bar at Central Market.  I didn't have that much time, and I was able to buy all I needed for a buck fifty!  I'm not that convinced that I could have bought all the ingredients for that.  I could have done more, but it really wasn't necessary.  Plus, I have leftovers for breakfast tomorrow.  It wasn't about the food anyway.  Valerie hadn't seen my family in years - so they had a grand time catching up.  And then we went shopping.

There was an etsy-type show in town, so we went through that, followed by the flea market.  We then hopped across town to a antique/booth store and that's where I fell in love with the lace jacket.  It is a little costumey, but I love it.  Don't have a place in the world to wear it, but something will come up.

Got home from shopping, visited a bit more and then company left.  I took in a quick meeting and rushed then rushed home to mow and trim the front yard before sundown.  After that?  Dishes.  Lots and Lots of dishes. Ah, well.  Small price to pay.

All in all, one of the most productive, fun days I have had in a while and I am grateful.

Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others.  Have a brunch bunch.

-Roxie

7 comments:

  1. OHMYGOSH this made me smile and framed my day so nicely.
    I am going to have a magnificent monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love days like that! Glad you made it a great Sunday. Hope the week is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the DST - I love the difference in the light throughout the day. I/ve never noticed it as much as I did yesterday.

    Your ladies' brunch sounds divine! That's a good idea - I have several friends I want to have over, and that would be different and simpler than a full-on dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think buying a piece of clothing that you love, even if you don't exactly know where you'll wear it, is perfect...that jacket will speak to you and let you know. :)

    What a great day! I'm just happy to see the sun and blue skies - that alone is motivating to me after all the storms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that jacket. I was just talking about Stevie Nicks to my husband right before I read your post. Funny. It does look like something she'd wear, doesn't it? I think it will look great, especially with your hair color.
    Great job on the brunch. You're right - easiest meal to prepare. Sounds like you all had fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the jacket! Can't wait to hear where it takes you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful day! I LOVE productive days :) I also, love the jacket!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.