Thursday, March 29, 2012

Friends And Family Calling Plan

Yesterday I got back on the Phone Friend calling plan and called an acquaintance of mine, Marty, who is also a cyclist and asked her if she wanted to go on the ride with Her Honor. .  So we agreed to meet at the starting point.  There were about forty people, I guess.  I didn't actually count, but the line stretched out for a long way.  We had two police officers along as well.  It was a great group.

When we get to the half-way stopping point, Marty says "Let me introduce you to HH, she's my cousin."!! And so I got to meet HH and ride with her for a while.  It was an out-and-back ride, and so we met one of the police officers and a woman that I had met in the parking lot just coming in.  Holly, while she wasn't struggling,  was on a comfort bike and was just much slower than those of us on road bikes or hybrids.   She was a very nice woman in her mid-sixties - one of those very cute little pixie ladies.  HH said that she was going to stop and ride with Holly and Marty told  HH to go on with leading the rest of the group and  that she and I would ride with Holly back in.  So that's what we did.  Marty told HH and the police officer that she had HH cell number and we'd call if we needed them.  We were on the Trinity Trail, so we knew the lay of the land pretty darned well.

We had a lovely ride on a picture perfect spring evening and a nice visit with Holly on our ride back in.  It did take us some time, but it was about the experience, not the exercise.  At one point Marty did comment that HH would be waiting for us at the starting/ending point, but I did not really think she would.  But there she was (along with her driver and the two police officers) and she greeted us all by name and we chatted for a bit.  As we were loading up our bikes, Holly and I were talking about our ride and our evening and I said something about her being friends with HH - and Holly said "I only just met her at last weeks' ride".  I'll say this about HH, she has a way of making everyone feel like they've been friends forever (and she can remember names like nobodies business".

Since I have begun to be more open to people and things - being more positive, expecting good things - the universe had awarded me with such rich experiences.  My life has taken on a much different texture and I am grateful for all these experiences.  As Simply Me said just yesterday "As I Say Yes To Life, Life Says Yes To Me".  I had no idea that just a shift in my thinking, attitudes and taking small actions would offer such personal rewards.  Not that last night was huge, but it was much bigger, different and more rewarding than I could have ever imagined.  I reached out to someone that I don't know that well and look what happened?

I'm up and ready for spin class - today is Glee-Day.

Phone-Friend-Challenge:  HH's cousin.

Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others. Say Yes To Life.

-Roxie

2 comments:

  1. Spinning to Glee must be awesome!

    There's so much good in this post Roxie. Too often we feel alienated but it is only our own self who is doing the alienating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I agree with Helen, so many good things about it. Most of all it made me smile and want to be positive for the day. So thanks!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.