Sunday, March 18, 2012

Jumping Hurdles On a Bicycle

Let's Get Ready To Rumble!
All that worry for nothing!  Ain't that always the way?  The group could not have been more welcoming.  It was the perfect way to be introduced - although we learned nothing of p8celines and dropping back - we did have a fabulous morning of biking with folks our own age - and who, either by choice or by talent, didn't leave us in the dust.  Talia and I held our own.  It was a great experience.

We met and talked to lots of other cyclists (lord, they are a talky bunch - especially about gear - which I know next to nothing about the mechanical stuff)  People were telling me all about Inez' ancestry - when they used to have "the first" Allez and how they wished they could buy another (vintage) one.  We also got invited on several other  regular rides - I am especially interested in a local DOD group breakfast ride that happens every Saturday morning.  They ride about 1 1/2 hours (meandering route) have breakfast, and they come home a direct route.  They have three groups, including a "cruiser" group (mine!), so I could keep right up - according to the guy who told us about the ride.

What a difference another day makes.  This is the same ride at which I failed so miserably the other day.  Granted, we didn't take Heartbreak Hill (I didn't know there was a ride-around), but even so, on my ride the other day, I was sucking badly before I even reached the hill.  I don't know if I was trying to go too fast (although it didn't feel like it) or what, but yesterday I think I could have easily doubled or tripled our mileage.  I still had plenty of lung and leg after completing the 22.

In Garden Party News, I have secured Pebbles' as the downstairs help.  She has agreed to come over early (we'll see :-)) to help with set-up and prep and then serve as scullery wench/party overseer so that I can mix and mingle with my guests.  Slater is still iffy as the staff photographer, but I think that would be awesome to provide my guests with great pictures as their party favor, especially if they go to the trouble of getting gussied up!

Putting the last minute touches on packing for Music City and writing this blogpost, all while sharing my morning coffee with Jimmie Dale Gilmore.  She was sleeping on my front porch this morning when I got up.  So we've been sharing neighborhood gossip and a nice visit - but it's just about time that I send her on her merry way.

Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others.  Be Anxious.  Be Nervous.  Do It Anyway.

-Roxie

10 comments:

  1. So glad that the biking group was such a positive experience. You're killing a lot of birds with this - social, physical, overcoming the mind chatter...

    I hope you'll take lots of pictures of the Garden Party - I know you have quite the way with decorating, Roxie! Take care -

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always the way! I worry over nothing all the time. You would think I would learn, sadly, no. Have great time in Music City. So glad you had a great bike ride. The Saturday thing sounds like lots of fun. Leslie is right right. You are growing by leaps and bounds. You should be proud.

    Pebbles as the downstairs help? Cute. The party will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bike ride sounds like a lot if fun. Glad you just jumped out there and did it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do it anyway......thats my new mantra. :) So glad it turned out
    so wonderful. I hope i run into such friendly people when i decide to be brave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had such a great time with the group, and that breakfast ride sounds like it will be awesome, as well!

    Have a fun and safe trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a find. Courage, bravery and did I say courage? Takes a lot to put yourself out there like that but you've just shown me another reason why it's important to face fears head on. So glad you felt welcome and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad the ride went well! I know my pride, experience, and reason try to talk me out of doing something, but I try really hard to listen to my heart that whisper that I should give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what LEAPED OUT AT ME this morning is FEEL NERVOUS but DO IT ANYWAY.

    what I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Roxie!

    I just awarded you The Versatile Blogger award! Just pop on over to my blog to read the details and grab your button. Don't forget to read the little blurb i wrote about your blog!
    Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.