Monday, April 30, 2012

Every Bloom Is Sacred

Good weekend.  The Grand Beast behaved with no allergic reactions this time.  I had a nice ride with the local club on Saturday and I got quite a bit done around the house.  However, I'm running into some gardening problems - in trying to save every single plant that has popped up from seed, everything looks ragged.  I've got a ton of corn poppies (think Flander's Field) that are now drying out.  I want to make sure that I have poppies next year, but I also want to lay down some sort of compost side dressing and mulch.  So I need to do that before the poppies seed out.  If the seed gets covered up, then there will be no poppies and no no poppies to produce more seed.

I also committed a serious blunder.  I'm just sick about this - There was a "weed" growning out of a large rose bush and it had been bothering me for days - so today, I went over and cut it down - only to discover that when I pulled the weed out of the rose bush, that it was an oak tree!  Evidently Prior Owner had started this growing through the tree - which was sort of brilliant, as the big tree in the front yard is a short-lived trash tree, so getting a replacement started was a brilliant idea.  And now, I've done a George Washington and chopped down a tree!  Time to get another one planted, I guess.  I did go to the nursery looking for some Mexican petunias, but they didn't have any.  Guess I'm going to need to look around for those while I'm tree shopping.

Workshop was really good yesterday - I still suck, but I'll get in a good lick every once in a while.  This group of people are very talented and so incredibly supportive.

I am not looking forward to Monday at work - I'm dealing with two things - preliminary report from the auditors and the personnel matter from last week.  Ah well, this too shall pass.  Plan on taking in spin class Monday morning.  Mr. Beautiful is leading.

Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others.  Cull.

-Roxie


7 comments:

  1. ahhh and it IS monday huh?
    glad the weekend was good and hoping you can bring that calm with you through your Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Beautiful is leading the spin class? Sounds like a cardio workout in more ways than one, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't give up on that oak! If all you did was cut it and not yank it completely out of the ground, it might stage a rally and re-sprout. Kinda like a Jurassic Park quote - "Life will find a way"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't yank it out of the ground - I just took the clippers to it. So maybe the best way is to just leave it alone and see what happens - good thought.

      Delete
  4. You had a busy weekend! I love shopping for plants/trees.... I need more land to plant what I would love to buy. Someday.

    Shelley's comment made me laugh! It's always nice to have some eye candy when you are working out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done this exact same thing in my garden. Yanked out a mess of poppies (my favorite flower, mind you) because I thought it was a bunch of weeds. Doh!
    I have to tell you before I post this comment, my husband was passing by and before I knew it, began humming a tune (he rarely hums to himself). I asked what song he was humming and he said, 'Every Sperm is Sacred. Don't you get her play on words there?' I learn something new every day, Roxie ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Big old Python fan here :-)

      Delete

We'll try this for a while.