Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Pain In The Neck

I've been suffering for almost a week with severe neck pain that seems to be getting worse.  Last night I rustled through the stash of "old pills" and found one lone muscle relaxer and so I'm feeling better this morning.
I don't know if cycling is causing this or making it worse or all the yard work that I've been doing - but this is a killer.

I also realized that it was my neck that was really bothering me the day I had such a bad ride around the lake - and the day of the group ride, my neck felt fine.  I do know that I have some osteo-arthritis in my neck - I need to get this checked out.

On the last Wednesday ride, my neck was hurting and it's been hurting ever since.  On Friday, I felt it kind of "pop" and I got some relief but yesterday at my desk, I started getting muscle spasms and by nightfall, had lost a lot of range of motion.

So this morning, I overslept and am still feeling groggy, but I'm the manager on board today, so I've got to pick up my heavy head and make for the office.  Guess I need to add this to my list of stuff to be seen about.

Talk to me about chiropractors - I've always been sort of scared of that voo-doo that they do.  Are you?

Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others.  Hold your head up high.

-Roxie

10 comments:

  1. Ouch! Sounds painful! I'm an avid cyclist and I know that incorrect posture or fitting of the bike can cause neck pain. Check Livestrong.com, they have good info on bike riding and neck pain. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is going through the same thing right now, and the thing that has worked for him has been this technique the therapist showed him. There is a pressure point in your upper back, sort of between your shoulder blade and muscle that you press on for a few minutes. It releases the tension in your neck and you get immediate relief. He's been doing this with a tennis ball. Here is one article on it, but you can also find lots of info on youtube:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/403627-tennis-ball-therapy/
    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack - I've had painful neck issues off and on for over a year now. I think it's mostly stress, but maybe a touch of arthritis as well? Honestly, I'm afraid of having a doctor diagnosis it as fibromyalgia, so I haven't had it checked out. Ostrich-ish? Yes. Hope you get some relief!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an awesome chiro and and awesome massage therapist and they keep me going!! AND the chiro is covered by insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore my chiropractor (Dr. Hands, as I call him). In addition to a great personality and those hands, he's also quick to point out when the problem is better addressed by something outside his specialty. In fact, he's the one who introduced me to therapeutic massage for some neck pain I was having that he thought was more related to tissue inflammation than joint issues. It was, and it hurt to fix it, but now I'm devoted to massage therapist Kenny, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog! I just gave you the Liebster award! Check out my post about it today http://hokkaidokudasai.blogspot.jp/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't be coincidence that your neck pain came about shortly after starting out on the new bike. Fit is key - your bike shop may be able to help tweak saddle and handle bar positions. Did you get measured & fit for your bike? It's not unlike being measured for a suit - inseam length, trunk height, arm length. The only thing they don't measure is neck size (I'm a 17 1/2 btw).

    In the mean time, a massage sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder...is therapeutic massage ever covered by insurance?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chiropractors are amazing! Although, try to get a recommendation from a friend or someone you know. I've been going since I was a little kid. I had a slightly crocked spine when I was born... the chiropractor as a child, fixed it. :)

    Plus, when my Dad crushed two disks in his back 30 or so years ago, he was told he would never walk again. With his fighting spirit and a chiropractor, he has been walking for that last 28 or so years.

    I have a couple chirporactors (one on each side of town) that I see regularly. Helps with my headaches and neck pain.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to agree with the other commenters and suggest you see about getting your bike fit. Probably a small adjustment needs to be made to the seat or handlebars. I was amazed how much better I felt when my bike was adjusted...I didn't even realize I was extended the way I was.

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.