Tuesday, April 24, 2012

@ssholes and elbows

Yesterday pretty much sucked from top to bottom.  I have a situation with an employee at work and I talked to my beloved boss about it.  He suggested we go talk to HR together, as they had been very helpful in the past.  I certainly didn't want to HR involved in this - but since I listened to him and did, now they are involved and the situation appears to be completely out of my hands.

I'm angry with myself for even opening my mouth.  The thing is, I talked to my boss because I was afraid that the solution I was proposing might be trampling her rights as an employee.  Turns out, my solution doesn't go far enough in trampling her rights.  And now I have been told to formalize a plan and submit a copy to HR.  I haven't decided if I am going to comply.  But I did cry myself to sleep over this.  Well, there wasn't much "to sleep" to be had.  My eyelids are about a half inch thick this morning.  It's time for some cucumber slices or something.  I've always heard that Prep H works good as an eye de-sweller, but 1.  I don't have any and 2.  if I did, I don't know that I would use it.  I'll just have to be red and puffy.

So to distract myself from this emotional tornado, I decided to practice going clipless.  Talia and I just signed up for this amazing ride at the end of next month,  and I need some more time in the saddle and clipless.  So I suit up and go out to the garage and give Inez the ABC check.  Well, she failed the air check.  It was time to use the presto adapter and my pump.  The good news is that I managed to figure out how to do it - I only had a little trouble, as I think Inez' back presto stem hoochie is mal-formed.  It's like it's been threaded on crooked.  It functions to open and close the valve, but once I got the adapter threaded on and the tire pump hooked up, I thought I was NEVER going to get the thing dis-assembled.  Which led to some tears in the garage.  All things mechanical frustrate the hell out of me.  Okay, next step - practicing clipping in and out - just straddling the bike, standing up in the garage.  Took me a few tries, but I managed to be able to clip in and out with ease.  It was time to go outside.

On my way home from work, I'd spotted a deserted parking lot that looked like a good place to practice clipping in and out, but after going outside, I decided that it probably wasn't a good idea - that no one would find me if I did fall and hurt myself.  I decided to just ride around in my neighborhood - sticking close to home.  Let's just say that I'm an equal-opportunity idiot.  I've got two bloodied knees, two bruised hips and two scrapped up elbows, as I fell twice.  Once on each side.  I did manage to get myself back home and trust me, there was more crying in the garage.  I am stiff and really sore today, but I'll live.  I just need to figure out some mental trick to kick out BEFORE I hit the brakes.

Knew I needed to keep busy, so I decided to go work in the yard, pruning some wayward and all-ready-bloomed bushes.  Let's just say that the variegated lorapetulum has a big gaping hole in the back of it.  Sigh.

Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others.  Don't Prune In Anger.

-Roxie

15 comments:

  1. Oh my that does sound like a bad day. Hope today is MUCH better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Roxie! I'm so sorry on all fronts! Its terrible when a problem with an employee takes on a life of its own. When probably all you wanted was a little advice. The idea of clipping into those pedals just scares me to death. What made you decide to 'clip in'? Do you have trouble keeping your feet on the pedals?? And the Lorapetulum will grow back AND the sun will shine tomorrow. I'm so sorry you fell and hurt yourself. I've had one serious accident on my bike and a few close calls and thats WITHOUT clips so no i don't think i'll be going there. LOL. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa - bad day indeed. I'm so sorry you got hurt on the bike...talk about adding insult to injury...

    I had a terrible work situation with another employee (in another department with whom I have to interact a lot) about 4 years ago that was horrible, and kept me up at night too. I actually called our EAP for guidance and help. Then I had to meet face to face with her and the higher ups - I called it my military tribunal. Long story short (I know, too late) is that she ultimately ended up in prison!! Not for my situation, but because she was discovered to have falsified overtime for herself and was embezzling $ from clients!! Developmentally disabled clients, no less.

    Sorry to make this all about me. One thing for sure - today is going to be a better day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! That really is a bad employee. Sounds like that situation handled itself.

      Delete
  4. DAMN IT! So sorry when I read about your fall on FB. Sounds like work is just a bitch. I hate it when there are problems at work. It's been a while since I even had a job, but I do remember that co-worker crap is just that, crap. I do the same thing when it happened, I cry too. Puffy face was the norm back in my end of work days.

    I was hoping for a Downton Abbey tea party post. I love the pic on FB, but was hoping for more. I thought about you all day Saturday, wishing I was there.

    Here's to a much better day, a MUCH BETTER day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more thing....about 10 years ago I fell off my bike onto my face. I had a lemon size bump under and around my eye. It went from purple to green and I had to keep telling people I wasn't an abused woman, for over a month. It was interesting to see how people reacted to me :)Clipping in sounds terrifying to me.

    hugs again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well pooh. What a rotten hand.

    Clips scare the daylights out of me. On offroad trails, I want my feet FREE if I fall! (Why do they call them clipless?? There really ARE little clips on the bottom of the shoes!!;0) When the Architect was learning to use his, he had a couple nasty wrecks, the worst of which resulted in major pavement burn and *gasp* damaged brakes. He cracked the connector to the hydraulic line and it drained out, leaving him brakeless. The kid is literally dripping blood on the pavement and all he can think about is the disc brake!

    He tells me that if you're not sliding in and out easily enough, the clips on the shoes can be adjusted with a screwdriver so they aren't quite so tight on the pedal mount.

    The issue at work? Keep your head steady. It will all work out eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Angela - why do they call them "clipless" when you "clip in" and "clip out"? I've had a couple incidents involving clip out trouble. Once at an intersection - had to come to a stop & had trouble getting by shoe unclipped. Before I fell over I stuck a hand out and leaned on a car fender while I got my foot free. Driver was laughing his head off at me. Another time I was doing a U-turn, hit some loose gravel and got me some road rash before I could even think to unclip. 20 miles from home no less.

    Word of advice? Unclip way before you have to, don't rely on getting free in the last second. Your knees, hips & heel of your hands will thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yowza - I sure hope today is MUCH better for you!

    Clipless looks scary...Jeff is a biker and he won't use them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch! I had two falls on the same hip when I was learning to use biking shoes. My bruises had bruises and it hurt like hell. Took a long time to heal too. I don't use them. I think they're mainly for increasing speed and that's just not that important to me.

    For your eyes, try using tea bags.

    Tomorrow's going to be a brighter day. Hope you get a chance to listen to some music you really like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you had a rough day. This too shall pass... right?

    Hang in there my friend! You can always start a new moment, you don't have to wait for the next day :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never had to deal with HR type issues ever in my life, and am grateful. That said, my DH has to deal with them all the time and I get that it's never, ever easy. So sorry! And then to go AOTK? Owie.

    One of the reasons I haven't ridden a bike in, like 100 years, is because I got sideswiped by a car while riding when I was 12 years old. It wasn't pretty. It scared me. It's just not something I've ever wanted to do again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing for you rainbows, kittens, and unicorns on Wednesday. I recently made the switch to clipless pedals (I agree with others that the terminology seems backwards). I would clip in with only one pedal and then clip out, and then repeat on the other side. I did this quite a while before I would clip in with both pedals. I have the dual sided pedals so this was easy to do, but I don't know if that would work with you're pedals. When I have to clip out I keep trying not to panic and realize that I really only need to get one foot out of the clips. Hang in there, I know you'll get it, and I know you'll get back on that horse. You get everything else accomplished like a champ!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I just had to break up a fight between junior & senior receptionists, so sometimes I wish I had a HR dept!

    It was comical for me, getting started w/a "real" road bike/bike shoes/scary pedals. I've fallen over several times - thankfully always in "slo-mo" when I'm stopping & can't get my dadgum foot unclipped fast enough!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ouchie!! I just read this post about your sucky day. Sounds awful. I hope your are feeling better now and that the HR thing will work out. Don't be hard on yourself.

    That ride looks awesome! I like that it said something about not being a race, so enjoy the beauty. Nice!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.