Thursday, August 9, 2012

Celebrating Eleven Years With Steel

Today is my 11th blogging anniversary.  I've been doing this in some form or fashion (with a few short breaks here and there) for over a decade - nearly 1500 posts, counting those that are still in draft status!  Can you image me electing to NOT hit the post button?  Sometimes it does happen :-).

Here's what I said last year with adjustments:




I have been reading OLJs for a long, long time. Almost since they first began, I guess. I am in no way able to compete with the fabulous, real, funny words written by others. This is for me - gor me to chronicle my thoughts as I move through the remainder of my life. Yep, it is downhill for me. I am 40 years old. I may live to be 80, but for the most part, my life is half over. The really great part of that is I get much more of a choice about what happens in the next 40 plus-or-minus, than I did the previous 40. That is something to be grateful for.


This journal is about making choices, choosing to be happy, choosing to be adventurous, choosing to be brave. And oh, how I hate this word- choosing to be empowered.

Yes, I am freckled and fluffy. The freckles are here to stay and I am working on removing a bit of the fluff. I want to be physically able in years to come to hike the Smoky Mountain portion of the Appalachian trail. I want to trek the Cotswold Way. I want to swim with the rays. I want to ride a zipline in Costa Rica.




That's how I opened ten   eleven years ago today. I was 40, Pebbles was getting ready to go away to college and I had just celebrated my tenth wedding anniversary, having been together for 15 years.

In the last ten eleven years, the changes have occurred at an almost exponential rate. Pebbles has graduated, married and is pursuing her career path, with some success. My ex-husband has been married now for eight  9 plus years and is presumably happy. And while I won't call what I am happy,  I am happy and I will say that I am more content in my own skin than I've ever been before.

I am still freckled, but most of the fluff has been replaced with sag ;-). But it's better than the alternative - I'm still here and still looking forward to what each day brings. My life is a lot less frentic. I am a lot less resentful and angry. And I've made some serious mistakes. I've made decisions and choices that I now regret. I have harmed myself and others, but I cannot change what was. All I can do now is learn from those mistakes and move forward. And moving forward I am.

And there has been a good deal of growth. I'm a much more serene - while I'm certainly not the serenity queen, there are stretches  long stretches where I am able to stay in the present - not writhing over the past, nor worried about the future. I've come to a greater acceptance of myself, freckles, foibles and all.

I still have a vision for my future - the woman that I hope to become - and the woman that I am - grounded, earthy, fit and passionate with a willingness to laugh at the slightest provocation. I look forward to a life filed love and passion.  In the past year, I've come a long way in creating a fulfilling life and you are a large part of that.  

And I am grateful.  Thank you.  Roxie

12 comments:

  1. I don't always comment, but read every post and am thankful you starting writing eleven years ago. I love your insight, your honesty, your continuity and hope that continues for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on this achievement - it's huge. I can't even imagine blogging that long and yet I hope you continue for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!

    Wait. You have freckles? I never noticed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. How was the ride last night? I hope you didn't get caught ten miles out in that 'little' rain storm!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! Glad you have continued to blog and share your life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing all that you do.
    I have learned so much from reading your blog.
    You inspire me with your attitude, honesty and growth.
    You are an amazing writer.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Roxie! I'm so glad you're still writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous post!! I am so glad you're still blogging and hope you continue for a nice long time...you are such a gift to your readers.

    I've only been blogging for three years but am about to turn 50 and have been thinking about how transformative this past decade has been for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a blog, but there are a few I really enjoy reading. Yours is at the top of the list and I was so disappointed when you recently stopped writing. I hope to enjoy 11 more years of adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Blogiversary!! It's amazing to have consistently written for 11 years - and I am glad to have been reading you for these last 8 years or so. Your metamorphosis has been a pleasure to witness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, eleven years?! And we are all the better for it! Your wit and wisdom save the day on many a dark and dreary :)

    I must get one of those t-shirts...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember when I first stumbled across your blog. A great discovery! Congrats on your blogging anniversary. (:

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.