Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Hitting The Books

What have I gotten myself into?  And how much has the classroom changed since I finished grad school TWENTY.YEARS ago?  Quite a bit, apparently.  Part of the classroom experience is like a gameshow, where we have (to buy) and use these little handheld, electronic voting devices.  It's how our quizzes will be administered, as well.  No more scantrons for me!

And the rigor?  Well, this is a senior level history class with SEVEN required reading texts.  SEVEN. Costing right at $300 dollars.  I blanched when I saw that.  I'd forgotten how expensive books are/were and Pebbles has only been out of college for OMG eight years!  (When and how did that happen?)  Anyways, so I am not going to throw down that much green for the reading materials for a class I'm auditing, so I checked out (see what I did there?) all the library resources at my disposal and have secured all but one of the books, Free Of Charge.  I'll have to read ahead on some of them to get get them back before their due date, but since I don't actually have turn in finals or take quizzes (unless I want to), I can still get what I came for without buying and subsequently owning, a back-breaking amount of books.

So I've started reading the history of VN.  Again, I am amazed at how ignorant I am.  This part of the world was just never on my radar.  I wouldn't have been taught it in high school because we probably used history books from the 60's.  I didn't have any direct knowledge or experience, as I knew no one at the time who served.  It truly was a foreign war to me.  We didn't watch the news and we didn't take the newspaper.  We lived a pretty isolated existence, as far as world experience goes.  So, the historical backdrop to the war is all brand new to me.  And again, I am aghast at my own ignorance.  I've been reading and I've been able to stay focused.  Perhaps this subject will hold my attention in a way that other books and topics have not as of late.

The tree guy stood me up - says he left a message on my phone telling me that he was rained out.  I have no such record of a call, but then again, my phone service with this particular phone is CRAP.  So next Tuesday.  If I were a betting man, he's trying to get me to bug off, as he wasn't happy with the quote that his bidder gave me and tried to jack the price and I told him that I expected him to honor the quote I'd been given.  So I'll give him one more week to make good (he's supposed to be back in my area next Tuesday) and if not, I'll write up a scathing review on Angie's List.  But it was interesting to see how frustrated/pissed/angry/ I got when I called him when his crew didn't show.  I mean, I kept my cool with him, but afterwards, I was pissed.  Looks like I need to work on my anger/frustration management.  I think that's part of my whole avoidance thing - is what am I to do with this energy, these frustrated emotions?

Looks like I've got some other learning to do.

Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others.  Knowledge is power.

-Roxie

5 comments:

  1. I hated history class in highschool.......all those dates i had to memorize......but now that i'm older i find that i like history quite a bit. Especially offbeat, quirky stuff that rarely makes it into school history books.I hope you'll share a little of what you learn along the way! Darn tree guy! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will probably get tired of hearing about the history. So far, it's pretty fascinating.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I went through tree removal drama last month and really let it take up too much space in my life! When you need a break from hitting the books, I highly recommend the movie Indochine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I do believe it's already in my queue. I'll take your recommendation and move it up. When we were asked in class about movies re: VN - everyone gave the usual suspects - Apocolypse Now, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket. I thought about Indochine.

      Delete
  3. I'm in the same boat as you regarding Vietnam; I guess it was still happening and/or too recent to have made my textbooks, and while my dad always had the new on the TV (while we ate dinner), I tuned it out. This will be really interesting for you, I've no doubt. Kudos for finding a way around the textbook costs - it really gets crazy, and especially when the profs pick so many books!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.