Tuesday, August 14, 2012

T is For: Tired, Tuesday, Tires and Trees

I took the day off to take my mom to the cardiologist for a follow up appointment.  Turns out she postponed it.  I don't know what that's about.  Fear, I guess.  It was a check-up with a new doctor and she has white-coat anxiety.

Since I was already marked off, I'm taking the morning to just putter around.  I've already changed the flat on Inez.  Six minutes, including going out to the car and getting the pump!  Woo Hoo!  Actually, we'll call this a beginner's change, as I didn't have to mess with a C02 cartridge.  But you gotta start somewhere, right?

The group of us (four) (accomplished) women were talking on Saturday morning about the frustrations of all things mechanical.  I contend that this was purely a lack of exposure to even the most basic of mechanical axioms.  And by exposure, I don't mean "hand me that crescent wrench, Kitten".  I mean training, hands-on stuff.  That's what Noah gave Talia and I with our bikes and I was able to replicate on my own what I'd learned under his tutelage.  I'm not looking to rebuild a bike or a tranny or anything like that, but just some very basic knowledge - acquired in a non-frustrating situation.  I had to laugh - we all talked about getting frustrated and crying.  I call those garage-tears and it is comforting to know that I'm not the only one.

Sticking pretty close to high-protein, good fiber and gluten-free these days and I'm feeling better for it.  Now if I could just sleep - last night was another awful night.  That's part of the reason I went ahead and stayed home, at least for the morning was to just force my body to, if not sleep, at least rest this morning.  I was up for several hours in the middle of the night straightening and sorting closets, just to try to wear myself out.  I start to wear out at about 4am.  Sigh.  Oh well, I'm feeling pretty good now after staying in bed until 7:11.

I'm waiting for a call back from the tree service.  I asked around the office, cross-referenced recommendations with Angie's List and have got someone who is supposed to come out and give me an estimate.  The decision is do I want to take the tree all the way down and grind the stump or do I want to leave, as the previous owner has done, a stump to use for decorative purposes.  Is this a problem or an opportunity to add some art and whimsy?  I do know that I want to plant a replacement tree, so I'm leaning towards having the 14" diameter stump taken out and to try to plant something good in it's place.  It was a trash Chinaberry(?) tree that went down - but it did provide shade to that area.  Decisions, decisions.  Ain't that always the way?

Take good care of yourself.  Be kind to others.  When feeling flat, change it.

-Roxie

5 comments:

  1. Have the stump removed. It may be cute for decorative purposes for one season, but after that, it becomes annoying. It will be doubly annoying when you want to plant a new tree later.

    Sorry for the tired - Happy for the tire [change]! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's exactly the decision that I've come to and for the exact reasons you mentioned.

      I've got a pine tree that is way too close to the house and I believe is infested with pine bark beatle that will need to come down. There won't be anything that goes in it's place, so if I want to do a little whimsy/artsy thing - that will be the place.

      Delete
  2. We had a gorgeous Post Oak in front of our house die - had it cut down but didn't do the stump removal, and I've always regretted that. Glad you are going to go ahead and have it done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin and I managed to change our first flat on Sunday. Unfortunately it was on the rear tire, but we got it changed. Gives me confidence if I have to do it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm is the sleep tied into the food shifts?
    I know my sleep got all uh screwed up (technical term :-)) when I initially went GF!!

    ReplyDelete

We'll try this for a while.